This thread reminds me why I don't do residential remodels and service work anymore. About 12 years ago I was called out to give an estimate for the wiring of a total kitchen remodel. They were taking the walls down to the studs and installing all new drywall, wiring, cabinets and counters and appliances. It was over a non finished basement and the panel was right below the kitchen. I priced it all out and they accepted my estimate. They signed a contract and the next week I wrecked out the old electric and roughed in the new. 2 weeks later it was all set to finish and everything went perfect and I was done in one day. The customer asked me to add an outside recept. It was just a matter of popping through the mud sill and putting a w/p box on the patio so I did it at N/C. Then comes the HO trying to beat me down when it was time to settle up. Mind you, the bill was not one penny more than the estimate. This HO worked in an automotive factory as a laborer(one of the big 3). Since my estimate was priced per opening he asked what my hourly rate was. At the time it was $35.00 per hour. He went nuts! Said there was no way I was worth $35.00 an hour. He said he was only making $21.50 an hour. I backed him up a bit when I asked him who paid his health insurance, contributed to his retirement, paid 1/2 of his SS, and paid his vacation time. I told him if he figured all of that in he was making closer to $40.00 an hour. I, on the other hand, pay all of those things out of my $35.00 an hour PLUS pay for my tools, licensing, liability insurance and traveling expenses. On top of that I haul my whole shop to his house. I asked him how he'd feel if someone from the company met him at the timeclock every Friday to haggle him down on his paycheck. He shut up and paid me. I raised my rates the next week and started being more selective of remodel customers. I rarely do remodel/service work anymore unless it is through a GC.