O.K. folks, as everyone's been trying to figure out this arrangement I thought I'd go and do a little detective work. It was a lovely Sunday afternoon, just right for a drive and walk around the back lanes and footpaths before I went to the supermarket. [Linked Image]

Here is what appears to be the other end of the lines from pole C:

[Linked Image]

The white house is on the side of the main highway (A1151), so presumably this 3-ph xfmr feeds the small group of houses at Cats Common.

Below are the lines disappearing across the fields in the general direction of Barton Turf from pole E

[Linked Image]

These do indeed cut across the fields rather than follow the line of the road. (When I think about it, lines keeping to the edge of the road are somewhat less common here than in North America).

The first couple of poles in the foreground are the most usual type for 11kV lines. The poles you can see in the background are much less common, and have the lines in triangular formation.

You can just about see that the third pole has a spur line heading off to the right. It's actually a single-phase spur and it is this line which runs to the intersection with Mill Lane. There is a xfmr at this intersection for the few houses, as I recalled, but this HV line actually ends there:

[Linked Image]

{ Edited for minor typos }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-04-2005).]