Your quite right Paul its a poor show when someone misses a basic point like this! NICEIC registered or not it does not realy matter, it should not happen.
Lots of electricians and contractors do reports and do not realy understand the implications of what they are signing.

I see and do lots of reports and quite honnestly find the standard report forms very poor to use any way. I tend to use the NICEIC format but I always write a seperate overview report to go with it. High-lighting the dangerous points if any and explaining in as simplistic way possible pitfalls and remedies.
I tend to detail the installation as I see it starting with the supply and design as it would have originally been intended following through on a room by room basis detailing any obviouse additions or alterations to the original installation noting all of the relavent deviations all with comments on the method of installation used to carry out the work. This is then augmented with random test results from selected circuits and points of utilisation, these being doccumented on the test schedule

Did one last week as a matter of fact and the writen report alone contained some 30 pages of detail you can't put that on a standard inspection cert very easily.
Lots of contractors just seem to go for the standard Bonding, No RCD on sockets, No grommets in box,s type report conclusion un-satisfactory. Rewire needeed.

How do you do your inspection and testing?

The prices people do reports for are also a joke I have heard them quoted as low as £30.00. How do you find prices figure in your area for reports?