To BS1363 and Schuko must be added the French-style plugs. They're used not only in France and Belgium, but also in some of the Eastern European countries which are likely to be joining the EU within the next few years. At least with those, however, we already have dual-plugs on many European appliances which will fit both Schuko & French receptacles.

I honestly can't see any common standard specified by an EU directive including BS1363 plugs. Malta & Cyprus may use them, but these two countries are not part of the EU, so as far as many EU committees are concerned, they don't exist!

That just leaves the U.K. and Ireland, and with Schuko being so dominant elsewhere I can see this being pushed as the only "reasonable" future European standard. I'd bet that the Danish plugs would be firmly rejected as well.

I agree with you on the color codes Peter. There is certainly no need for anyone to push for the U.S. to be "harmonized" with the rest of the world, although that probably won't stop some people from trying (e.g. there have been calls for the U.S. telephone network to change the IDDD prefix from 011 to 00 to "make it easier for foreign visitors").

This whole business within Europe of having to harmonize everything to make it easier for people to work in other countries is really getting too much. Yes, maybe electricians are moving around more these days within Europe, but if they can cope with everything being in a different language, what's the problem with accepting a different color code?