C-H, Let me add another point which came to me overnight. About the lamp cord (or whatever appliance).

As aelectrician it's his duty to protect HIS wiring, not the wirings of the radio/lamp manufacturers. That is their duty.
On their behalf I can presume that they think this way:
Why would there be a 100A flowing through a 0.75mm2?
If there is a ground fault, then the RGI will trip in 0.6 seconds. If it's a short, then the breaker will trip even faster.

Thank you for all those calculations!

As to what we use in Belgium. Well we don't use fuses at all anymore. We use only breakers C curve (residential). Even the main one is a breaker. We do find still older installations with fuses, including the "infinite" type. [Linked Image]

Paul, I'm sorry, too for ruining it.
I've had time to think abbout your ring circuits. My personal opinion is that it's a bad joke. What's the idea behind it? To save a bit of work or copper? Then why don't you branch it off a few more places (in midlle of the ring) to the 32A breaker? That way you could use 0.75mm2!
That is, of course, untill that one of them has a loose connection and the whole house is on fire. It's tippicaly British to think of something like that! This would never be allowed in France or Belgium.

[This message has been edited by Belgian (edited 10-15-2002).]