> Ok, correct me if I'm wrong: hooking up
> a class 0 device to a Schuko receptacle
> is dangerous because it creates
> a false feeling of safety?

No. It is dangerous because a class 0 device has a metal casing which is not connected to earth. It also only has a single layer of insulation. If this insulation is damaged, the casing will become condutive. In case you are touching only this, it will only deliver a shock. But, if you are at the same time touching an earthed object, the shock will be lethal. Unearthed sockets and class 0 devices should only be used where this cannot happen. (Non-conductive environments)

Class 0 appliances used in an earthed environment should be converted to class I (i.e. earthed), or Class II (be made double insulated) or simply scrapped.

There is a simple way of safely using them "as is". An RCD protected extension lead with a few unearthed sockets. However, this is rarely used in practice.

There is also a more expensive way: An insulating transformer, i.e. a 230-230V transformer, with separate primary and secondary windings. Since there is no connection to earth on the secondary side, a live to earth-fault can never occur. Shaver sockets are often designed this way.

Britain has choosen the other way: Earth everything. All plugs are three pin, which means that anything with a metal casing should be connected to earth. This is safer than the German approach and has therefore been adopted as the international standard. Most, if not all, industrialised countries require sockets to be earthed these days.