Whatever you do do not follow California's lead on this. After seven years we dont have much to show for any of it. Dont get me wrong, it is a novel idea, but with competing agencies, thick beurocracy, and legal battles it has not gone well. We have a License Board that maintains all Contractors Licenses, (CSLB) and an Industrial Relations Board (DIR) with a sub-agency for Apprenticeship (DAS).

Bottom line the CSLB has the resources and intimate relations with the Trades to impliment something like this. But due to political connections the DAS guided by outside consultants have done all they could to mess it up. IMO...

Contrary to Mike Holts site linked above California requires 32 hours, however NO ONE knows where or how to get them as of yet - after seven years.....

(a) Certification shall be renewed every three (3) years. To be eligible for renewal an applicant must provide proof under penalty of perjury of 32 hours further electrical education from an Educational Provider relevant to the type of certification, and must certify under penalty of perjury that he or she has worked in the industry 2000 hours within the previous three years.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/t8/291_5.html

A quick google for your state using the correct terminology shows (Recent articles) that you are in one of the battle states for the types of organiations that can poison the path you may want to take in getting an edjucated work-force. Both sides of either of those fights will use a topic like this to thier own advantage. My advise would be to avoid influence of either of them, and shoot for a balancing act between them, otherwise one or the other will grab any effort you make and shift it into the neither world.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason