I think the hired drivers idea would be a total non starter in any developed country to be quite honest. Wage costs would make it utterly unafordable for tourists!

A country like NZ or Ireland / Scotland / England etc is best visited by car too. Tourists like to browse around and have the freedom to explore at their own pace.

I mean they're ideal countries to do that kind of self-drive exploration in!

They're not THAT dangerous to drive in, but I do think that it's vital to remind tourists occasionally which side of the road they should be on, particularly in rural areas where traffic levels are so light that it is possible to slip into the old habit of driving on the right until you hit a tractor!

I suppose you could also argue that tourists are less likely to have accidents than New Zealanders as they're going to be far more alert driving on an entirely alien road system!
[Linked Image]

When I think about it the number of French drivers who go around roundabouts the wrong way is miniscule compared to the number of Irish drivers who manage to do far more lethal things despite being 100% familiar with the roads.