They could have done it years ago with MPH too.. it's partly spin and partly practicality .
Sure. Full marks for using common sense in making the changes together (the British govt. would probably have done it seperately at twice the cost! [Linked Image] ), but to say the change to km/h is responsible for improving safety is just ridiculous.

in Ireland a symbol in a red circle = do it.. red circle crossed out = don't do it (quite logical)
Yep, much more logical and consistent than the stupid signs we're stuck with here. No left/right/U-turn has the cross through, but the others don't. [Linked Image] Visiting Americans, Australians, etc. must have a hard time trying to figure out our signs.

The yellow diamond warning signs are staying,
Good, I prefer them to the red-bordered triangles as they seem to stand out more.

as are the yellow lines marking hardshoulders
They struck me as odd first time I visited Ireland -- It was like driving on the exact opposite of U.S. highways with yellow center lines and white edge lines, although of course we're used to lots of yellow no-parking lines in towns here! [Linked Image]

The reflectors on the road on the outside are normally yellow...
Makes sense that they match the line, which the reflectors here sometimes don't. Motorways here use white lane refelctors, amber on the far right edge by the barrier or median, red on the left shoulder [Linked Image] . The red changes to green at exit ramps.

If a sharp bend is approaching, the cats eyes reflectors turn red on the side of the bend.
Again, must be rather off-putting to American tourists.

sorry for poughing so far off topic...
Yep, apologies to C-H. Way off topic and criticizing European road signage as well! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-05-2005).]