Then we have this odd type of road used to save money: One lane in each direction plus a center lane that alternates between the directions. For maybe a kilometre, the northbound traffic has two lanes and then the southbound traffic has two lanes for a kilometre instead.
I've seen similar arrangements in the States, particularly, as I recall, around the Appalachians where the roads are somewhat less straight than usual and with more limited visibility. You find it in England as well in places, most noticeably on hills where two lanes going uphill makes it easier for faster traffic to get past the trucks and trailers.

Britain used to have 3-lane roads in which the center lane was for passing from [b]both[b] directions all the way along! It was up to anyone moving from either outside lane to make sure the center lane was clear enough to complete the maneuver. They've all gone now, which is probably just as well in today's heavier traffic.

We're in Austria. With a 130 limit people go 160. With a 160 limit they'd go 220. So we best leave the speed limit as is.
Yikes, 160kph is 100 mph! [Linked Image] Sorry, but in my opinion that's getting much too high. 70 to 80 mph is probably about as high as it should go.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-21-2005).]