The "Flush Median" or Middle lane. What happens when two cars travelling in opposite directions want to use it ?
The way those worked here was simply that it was up to any overtaking driver to make sure that the middle lane was clear far enough head to complete the maneuver and pull back to the left in safety.

Both could use the lane, but neither had priority, if you see what I mean.

If you had drivers coming from opposite directions, each deciding to pull out to pass without signaling first, then there was going to be a big problem. [Linked Image]

One reason why these center "both-ways" lanes were phased out here was simply that the increasing volume of traffic on British roads was making them completely impractical.

Compare this with the "Center lane left turn only" arrangements in the United States. The latter is a practical solution to keeping turning cars from blocking the through traffic -- But the difference there is that using the center lane for passing is not allowed.

The only way to fix this is to abolish visitors driving licenses and have hired drivers ( like Asia ). I don't know how Avia and Hertz will feel about that though.
I don't know how potential visitors would like it either. If I were planning a visit to NZ and was told I wouldn't be allowed to drive there, that would be the end of the trip before it even started.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 04-10-2005).]