From correspondents in New Delhi
August 13, 2007 04:36pm
Article from: Reuters
TEN people were electrocuted when an 11,000-volt power line touched the bus they were riding on in northern India.
Sixteen other passengers suffered burns, the Hindustan Times said.
The packed bus was travelling through Chandpur village in Uttar Pradesh state yesterday morning when it touched the low-hanging overhead wire, which set the bus's tyres on fire.
Seeing that more people were being electrocuted when they tried to get down to safety, one passenger tried to lift away the wire using a wooden flagpole he was carrying, but the wire fell back and electrocuted him.
Hundreds of locals stood around helplessly looking at those trapped inside the charged vehicle until the emergency services turned up. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22236776-23109,00.html