ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Looks like the wiring does the fusing as well.
Not many fuses visible on those crossarms.
Need to see some piccies when it rains, There are bound to be smoking or fizzeling connections. [Linked Image]

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
M
I don't see any transformers up there, unless they're buried in all those wires, but there are some larger insulators. What kind of voltages are running around in that mess?

Mike (mamills)

P
pauluk Offline OP
As near as I can tell (no information with the pics) this appears to be India, or perhaps one of India's nearby neighbors (Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc.).

The British distribution system in towns favors one large 3-ph xfmr feeding a 4-wire wye system serving a relatively large area, rather than the larger number of small xfmrs as is common in North America.

So if this was modeled (loosely!) on the British system, there's probably one big transformer somewhere in the neighborhood and it's likely to be anything from 220/380 to 250/433V wye on those poles, probably no HV, but who can tell in that mess? [Linked Image] (It looks as though there is telephone wiring in there as well.)

I heard that at least up until a few years ago some towns in India still had their old 3-wire DC systems in use (200/400 to 250/500V), but I have no idea if that is still the case.

R
...And they wonder why there is a copper shortage.. Seems to all be hanging off those poles!.

Hmm.. " Shortage"... Guess you could call all that mess one big short circuit just waiting to happen [Linked Image]

A.D

W
[Linked Image] holy *%@# [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-06-2006).]

Thanks.
one large 3-ph xfmr feeding a 4-wire wye system.

I thought maybe some power company engineer specified separate neutrals because he didn't like multiwire circuits, and this was the result [Linked Image]

S
...And they wonder why there is a copper shortage.. Seems to all be hanging off those poles!.

I'd love to see some copper thieves try to lift that stuff..... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

PLEASE! Make my day!

R
Scott,
I thought maybe some power company engineer specified separate neutrals because he didn't like multiwire circuits, and this was the result

LMAO

Roger

P
pauluk Offline OP
[Linked Image]

R
The actual streetlight looks quite modern too me.
We use the same type in Auckland.
Glad we have certain standards in place, although we have some messy poles about.

I keep my camera handy

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard