What are the facts about Poison Ivy and similar? (Poison Sumac etc).
I've heard that the (infection?) spreads from the inside of your body after the initial contact and spread caused by scratching, etc. Is there anything you can do to combat it once it's in your system? What is the fastest way to get rid of it?
I replaced a Fence in my back yard last weekend, and needed to clear/thin out some overgrown bushes etc. I didn't have any indication I had contacted anything until mid-week. I really only see it in 1 small area and have tried not to scratch it. I do get that itchy feeling though in many other places.
One time when I was about 10 I had it so bad on my hands (between fingers, etc.) that I had to soak them in this Brown stuff every day and none of the kids were allowed to play with me for weeks. It seemed I could get infected by just walking near the plants. But as an Adult contact hasn't been much of a issue, I'm sure I've touched it many times, but not too many skin eruptions.
The most annoying part is that it seems like I can feel it in my system. (or is that in my mind?)
As a country boy, I can tell you it's mean stuff for some. Best remedy I've found is Calimine Lotion.As Bob says, most products only relieve the symtoms.
I,ve also found over the counter antihistamines to help with the itch. As a teenager,I worked for a logging/pulpwood outfit in the summers,and it was a frequent occurance for me. As my dear Mother would say " Don't scratch it!"
[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 05-03-2003).]
Sorry to hear about your brush with the itchy stuff, Bill.
Poison Ivy isn't native to the British Isles, so maybe the long-term answer is to emigrate! I've had some bad brushes with nettles from time to time, but at least the stings from those wear off in a few hours.