ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Poison Ivy etc. - 05/03/03 03:11 PM
(I suppose this fits in this area somehow)

What are the facts about Poison Ivy and similar? (Poison Sumac etc).

I've heard that the (infection?) spreads from the inside of your body after the initial contact and spread caused by scratching, etc. Is there anything you can do to combat it once it's in your system? What is the fastest way to get rid of it?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: iwire Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/03/03 03:31 PM
Bill did you go someplace you shouldn't have?

I have only got it once and I found some products that eased the itch but does not speed recovery.

Washing right away if you know you contacted it is the only thing I have heard that helps.

I can tell you if you burn it that can be very bad, One of my nephews was helping with spring clean up and burning, he ended up in the hospital as he got it in his lungs throat and mouth.

I am sure the severity depends on the person, but for him it was a big deal.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/03/03 04:12 PM
Bob,

I replaced a Fence in my back yard last weekend, and needed to clear/thin out some overgrown bushes etc. I didn't have any indication I had contacted anything until mid-week. I really only see it in 1 small area and have tried not to scratch it. I do get that itchy feeling though in many other places.

One time when I was about 10 I had it so bad on my hands (between fingers, etc.) that I had to soak them in this Brown stuff every day and none of the kids were allowed to play with me for weeks. It seemed I could get infected by just walking near the plants. But as an Adult contact hasn't been much of a issue, I'm sure I've touched it many times, but not too many skin eruptions.

The most annoying part is that it seems like I can feel it in my system. (or is that in my mind?) [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/04/03 12:39 AM
As a country boy, I can tell you it's mean stuff for some.
Best remedy I've found is Calimine Lotion.As Bob says, most products only relieve the symtoms.

I,ve also found over the counter antihistamines to help with the itch.
As a teenager,I worked for a logging/pulpwood outfit in the summers,and it was a frequent occurance for me.
As my dear Mother would say " Don't scratch it!"

Russell

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 05-03-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/04/03 02:40 AM
I'd like to add that it helps to be able to recognize poison ivy/oak/sumac and thus hopefully avoid contact.

Here's a site with plenty of photos.

Just don't touch your screen while looking at them [Linked Image]
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/04/03 05:32 AM
TG,

Some interesting reading there. A lot of Home Remedies listed. Nice to know I could use Miracle Whip in a pinch to stop the itching. [Linked Image]

I saw an interesting Fact listed:
>>Poison Ivy coined by Captain John Smith in 1609.
(Word is that he's on my Family Tree)

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/04/03 11:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your brush with the itchy stuff, Bill.

Poison Ivy isn't native to the British Isles, so maybe the long-term answer is to emigrate! [Linked Image] I've had some bad brushes with nettles from time to time, but at least the stings from those wear off in a few hours.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/04/03 01:48 PM
Paul,

Maybe you're right. [Linked Image]
I didn't realize how potent the oils were.
1/4 ounce of urushiol is all that is needed to cause a rash in every person on earth

1 to 5 years is normal for urushiol oil to stay active on any surface including dead plants
That's some really Nasty stuff. I think I'll wear gloves any time I do anything in the yard from now on. Or maybe I just won't go out there ... [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/04/03 05:51 PM
Nice to know I could use Miracle Whip in a pinch to stop the itching.

Was there any mention of Windex? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/04/03 06:15 PM
TG,

No Windex (is that from the Greek Wedding Movie?)

They did mention Pine Sol and 409 though...
One person even scratches the stuff open with Pine Sol in the Bath water. [Linked Image]

hmmm
Bill
Posted By: sparky806 Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/11/03 12:40 PM
I have been useing a product called Tec-Nu for the past 3 years. Works great!! http://www.dermstore.com/byprodid-tecnu+(4+oz)_439.htm Walmart or most drug stores carry it
Posted By: sparky Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/12/03 12:42 AM
Bill,
you might try asking specifics @ WebMD
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/12/03 02:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

It's mostly gone now, but I'll sure remember to wear gloves next time I'm working outside amongst nature.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/12/03 07:07 AM
Hey Bill,
Is Poison Ivy only native to the US?.
I've never seen it here in NZ, we have Ivy, but I don't think it's poisonous!.
I do know that we have Stinging Nettles, once fell into a patch of this, it hurt for days afterwards too!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 05/12/03 02:53 PM
Trumpy,

The website mentioned by TG above has some interesting information on Poison Ivy.
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/
Posted By: PEdoubleNIZZLE Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 07/12/04 08:29 AM
I use Band-Aid Anti-Ith Gel. it says "Formerly Rhuli Brand." It dries out the rash. It has a cooling feeling when you apply it, and it stays there, unlike calamine. When reapplying, it's best to rinse the old stuff off with cold water, but if you can't, it's not a big deal.
http://www.bandaid.com/treatment_products.shtml
Josh
Posted By: George Corron Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 07/12/04 10:28 AM
OK, I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the internet.

Russell, DANGED disappointed in ya!! [Linked Image]
As a country boy ya'll oughta know there is an instant cure for this stuff.

1. take a cotton ball and wet it with Bleach, rub it across the area.

2. Fels-Naptha (Lye Soap) ALMOST as good as bleach.

Both work a bit better if you scratch a bit first. Oh yeah, the cure worked well on the inmates we had clearing right of ways too. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Ed Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 07/12/04 04:50 PM
George,
I have used the bleach method as well. In a pinch you can use alcohol. You may want to get a list of curse words and know how to use them before you start, though.

I MEAN....OUCH!
Posted By: KennyFrank Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 07/16/04 06:47 PM
When I was a young boy, a girlfriend and I caught a whopper case of poison ivy... most of our body surfaces. Her mom was NOT very happy, and oh boy her dad was... well good thing I could run faster than he could
Posted By: DougW Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 07/17/04 04:02 PM
Since the urushiol is oil-based, one or the reccs we've told folks about is to use dishwashing soap, or a mild TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) solution to get rid of the oil.

Oh, and since others have mentioned about the longevity of this stuff, remember you shouldn't try to burn it - the urushiol can become airborne, and get into your lungs.

Ya ever try scratchin' yer bronchi?
Posted By: cs409 Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 07/17/04 04:33 PM
its bad,,,,if you have a problem with it, then the best thing for you is to stay away from brushy areas! if you do get into areas of question, u need to wash with a bleach/water mix....and make sure u laundry the cloths you had on right away.. an over active amune system is the problem at hand,,,it looks at the oil on your skin as a major problem an attacks it! a good soap to use is Burts Bees poison ivy soap or any petrolium based soap! antihistamines are good because they will slow down histamines in your body that are attacking the infected area, aka, itch/rash city....good luck
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 08/07/04 01:27 PM
On the other side of the coin Bill, there are those of us (me included) that are allergic to bee and wasp stings.
I've always been aware of this and I have kept away from the risk.
That was until I was bitten by a White-tail spider in a roof about a year ago.
So I am told I fell through the ceiling after I blacked out and when I awoke I remember it being VERY hard to breathe.
Anaphalactic Shock so I am told it is called, people have been known to die from it and who am I to argue?.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 08/13/04 10:41 PM
Speaking of spiders...
Black Widows seem to have an affection for dark, damp places like crawl spaces, basements, etc., around here...
Black Widow Spiders

I've never been bitten by one, but their bite is known to be fatal without medical attention

-Randy
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 08/21/04 08:29 PM
Aahhhh!!!. [Linked Image]
Good Lord Randy,
I'm glad we don't have them over here.
Posted By: capt al Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 08/21/04 09:30 PM
Bill, sorry about your brush with poison ivy. Two products you can use made by Tec Laboratories are CalaGel, Tecnu. The first is anti-itch gel. The second is a cleaner to wash the affected area. They are labeled Oak-N-Ivy Brand.
Questions? Call 1-800-ITCHING
Posted By: hbiss Re: Poison Ivy etc. - 08/22/04 02:01 AM
I've heard that the (infection?) spreads from the inside of your body after the initial contact and spread caused by scratching, etc.

It's not an infection, it's an alergic reaction to the oil from the plant on your skin. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't spread from the area of contact unless you spread the oil around by rubbing, clothing etc. That's why it is important to wash the areas as soon as possible with something that will remove the oil, not spread it. Tec-Nu is one product I recommend. They also have a product that you apply to your arms and legs before hand as a shield.

Some people can be overly sensitive to the chemical and develop systemic alergy symptoms. They should see a doctor.

For the itch, topical or oral antihistamines (benadril) can be used.

-Hal
© ECN Electrical Forums