ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#168016 08/25/07 03:29 PM
G
I am sure this is a 110.3(B) violation but it does seem to be an elegant way to deal with "short neutrals" on a panel swap. The "euro" strip is U/L listed, just not on the SqD label.
I like it better than a dozen yellow wirenuts.
Maybe SqD should get some molded in grey plastic and sell them as a listed item for their panel.

Jim Pauley, you out there??? wink

[Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #168017 08/25/07 03:41 PM
I
I don't see anything wrong at all with the barrier strip.

Splices are allowed in panels and nothing says the splices have to be made with wirenuts.

I am more concerned about the group of conductors coming in the 1.25"? connector.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
iwire #168023 08/25/07 04:27 PM
Cat Servant
Greg, this is where you have to read ONLY what UL says ... and not jump to conclusions. Oddly enough, this exact situation is used as an example in the UL books regarding the modification of listed equipment.

The use of this bar does not automatically 'void' the UL listing. As UL takes pains to state, UL has no way, without examination by them, to determine whether the modification voids the listing - or not. It may be perfectly OK; I suppose that all you can say is that a modification MAY effect the listing.

So ... all you have is "might be a violation," and not "there IS a violation." It's your call. Were it my call, I'd praise the guy.

As UL is also very careful to say, it is the responsibility of the AHJ to determine the acceptability of the modification.

renosteinke #168024 08/25/07 04:37 PM
F
Really i will agree with both guys what they were explaing about the stripblock but i know most stripblocks useally are listed by UL and also EC {european verison of UL } so it should not have any issue but this one of the few area i have to walk on fine line without restorting to volated the UL listing on the panelbox itself.

but really the AHJ have final call on this one if he approved that methold then it should be ok for your area but may not be ok in other AHJ area

I done this few time also and my AHJ did give me the blessing on this one but genrally i don't do this not too often with this type of methold of termating the netual wire like this in the resdentail loadcentre because what if someone want to add new circuit and they may mistaked as a netrual connector which it is not so i just sized it for the amount of connection like this.

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
Bob the wires coming in the big connector are two romexes (#6 & #8) in one clamp. It is not right but there were only 1/2" KOs on that side of the panel and one big concentric KO.
I didn't have a punch handy to make a hole for a 3/4" KO.
I cheated and I am so ashamed wink

Greg Fretwell
J
Does that barrier block have an ampacity >= the largest conductor connected to it? That would be my biggest concern.
Joe

gfretwell #168040 08/25/07 08:49 PM
I
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Bob the wires coming in the big connector are two romexes (#6 & #8) in one clamp. ........I am so ashamed wink

I don't think I would crawl in a hole and kill myself grin but that is just the sort of thing an HI will write up when (if) you go to sell. And you know the barrier strip would come up on an HI report.

I keep those barrier strips in the truck, I think they are great. cool

Joe the amperage rating of any of the ones I get will exceed the ampacity of any conductor that fits. smile

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
iwire #168054 08/26/07 09:01 AM
P
It looks a little odd to see one of our "choc blocks" in an American panel, but it's sure a neat way to solve the problem.

pauluk #168078 08/26/07 08:34 PM
N
If the barrier strip is being used to extend neutrals that were too short for the new panel, why does there appear to be old, yellowed wire on BOTH SIDES of the strip, and not just on the top side? Installer reusing trimmed off bits of the old cables?

Why no similar strip for the hot legs?

Last edited by NJwirenut; 08/26/07 08:35 PM.
NJwirenut #168095 08/26/07 11:30 PM
G
The hot legs were all long enough. The other panel had the neutral bus near the top. The "old" wire was just off a short roll that I saved from another job a while ago. It was all unused THHN.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard