ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98703 02/19/05 09:05 AM
S
How are we to apply the new language to circuit directory's for panels?

Better yet...how are inspectors going to enforce the new language of 408.4???

For instance I mark some of my branch circuits in panels as Bedroom, Bedroom, Bedroom/smoke detectors, kitchen counter plugs, kitchen counter plugs, etc

Am I now going to have to "include sufficeint detail" and label like this...

Northwest bedroom plugs, Southwest bedroom plugs and lights in da closets of the Northwest and Southwest bedrooms, Kitchen counter plugs near the sink, Kitchen counter plugs by the refridgerator and the one over by the wall oven too,etc...

shortcircuit

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98704 02/19/05 09:11 AM
E
I think that is the point for the new wording of the article. I always marked that way anyway. What good are three or four circuits marked "Bedroom"? It makes sense that if you are going to lable that you actually label with enough info to make some sense out of it.

#98705 02/19/05 10:01 AM
S
Most residential loadcenters only provide a small 1" x 1" labeling area next to the breaker to identify its purpose...which makes it difficult for sufficeint detailed labeling of branch circuits that feed multiple areas.

Do any of you actually type up a seperate directory?

shortcircuit

#98706 02/19/05 10:13 AM
I
Shortcircuit I turn a panel schedule into the office and they make custom panel labels with our company name etc.

That aside I have no idea how we will comply.

We wire large office spaces we will have many circuits that feed office cubicles.

How can I describe them?

East West runs out quickly with so many circuits. In the past we have posted the power prints in the electric room for reference.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#98707 02/19/05 01:44 PM
D
As an inspector, what I often see in the field is breaker after breaker marked only 'receptacle' or 'lighting' with no indication as to where the receptacle or lighting circuit is.

I think the intent here is to give some sort of indication as to where the receptacle or lighting circuit is: bedroom rec., kitch. rec., dining....etc. would be much improved.

#98708 02/20/05 07:45 PM
L
LK Offline
Ok so we want to improve the system, so we ask for all the connected equipment and outlets to be posted at the directory, so now the homeowner runs to the panel in a panic, finds a schedule with a confusing short story of every outlet and piece of equipment on a circuit, with, north, south east, west locations, at this point, the panic increases, as they try to understand what turns what off.
How about a flow chart posted at the panel.

#98709 02/20/05 08:49 PM
R
I think in commercial applications this will be relatively easy, like Bob, I always see typed, company specific panel schedules.

In residential I just see the panel schedule filled in with pen, but then again, given the number of circuits I don't think residential should be a problem either.

The one problem I do see, however: Small appliance branch circuits in a dwelling.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City

Link Copied to Clipboard