ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#98383 10/30/04 05:59 PM
E
Ryan,
Do you think the intent was to require GFCI protection for the washing machine in a laundry if it was within 6 feet of the laundry sink?
Or, do you think the intent was to extent GFCI protection to receptacle outlets on counters or general purpose receptacles within 6 feet of these sinks?

Earl
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98384 10/31/04 01:03 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
I think the intent is that any receptacle within 6' of a sink is to be protected. I don't see any problem whatsoever with installing a GFCI on a washing machine. If the GFCI on the washer trips, it is because there is enough leakage current to trip it.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#98385 10/31/04 07:21 PM
E
How true. I recall in the 70s when GFCI protection came to the construction site. There were "nuisance" trips everywhere. At first we would simply replace the GFCI breakers (no receptacle units yet) with regular ones. Later, when all that faulty eqipment was replaced, we could leave the GFCI protection there. It took a while. If the washer is faulty, then it should be taken out of the circuit. GFCI and AFCI protection is a superior protection for life safety. They may present a problem if faulty equipment is connected to a circuit that needs to be left on.

Earl
#98386 11/02/04 01:10 AM
J
It was my belief that various things could "fool" a GFI into thinking there was current leakage when there wasn't. These things typically became signigicant when motors were starting or reversing under load, or capacitors were in the system- the sort of things found with air conditioners, compressors, and washing machines.
In kitchens, the GFI rules apply to "appliance" counter circuits- it is permitted to have the fridge, dishwasher, disposall, etc. on separate non-GFI circuits.
Just why must we discover bad english AFTER the code is out? Why aren't we discussing this before a "consensus" is reached?

#98387 11/02/04 09:25 AM
John, IMO you are talking about design issues. The Code is written to tell you what areas are required to be protected. How you are laying out the circuits is up to you . . . the design issue. If you place a couple of commercial refrigerators on the same circuit, there will be enough leakage current to trip a GFCI (or at least be close). For that application, an individual circuit should be installed for each refrigerator. IMO this applies to other appliances. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#98388 11/02/04 10:34 AM
E
I would think that if you put a couple of commercial refrigerators on a common branch circuit that eventually, they would start together and overload the circuit breaker, GFCI protected or not.

Earl
#98389 11/02/04 04:58 PM
E
Charlie,

210.8(A)(7) is going to create some unusual "designs" of area, IMHO.

My customer is going to look at me, quizzically, and ask me to tell him why all outlets within 6' of the bar sink or the fancy laundry room sink are more hazardous than the outlets within 6' of the sinks in his kitchen.

My defense seems to be 90.1(B), that is, that safety trumps adequate service. I tell my customer that the bar refrigerator, though used less frequently, is safe now, just as safe as his kitchen refrigerator. [Linked Image]

Al Hildenbrand
#98390 11/02/04 09:24 PM
D
Maybe this one will have communities waiting to adopt the 2008 NEC, and skipping this one...we're still on the 1999 NEC in Crystal Lake, IL.

Dave

#98391 11/03/04 12:31 PM
G
It appears that the requirements are poorly thought out ...

So if my washer GFCI trips for any reason I simply run an extension cord from a different outlet to the washer - the "problem" goes away.

If my freezer GFCI trips, my food rots.

If I have a stubbed out drain and faucets, can I not install a GFCI nearby and let the homeowner istall the sink later?

Can I cut the cord ends off and use junction boxs/flex cords instead of recepts?

In my personal experience I have never had a GFCI trip due to a fault. Too much ado about too little.

Perhaps all recepts should be GFCIs.

#98392 11/03/04 02:46 PM
E
simply run an extension cord
Can I cut the cord ends off and use junction boxs/flex cords instead of recepts?
Like I said. . .

unusual "designs" of area

Al Hildenbrand
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard