ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#97450 02/20/06 08:56 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Has anyone been required to install one?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Everyone, in the form of a plug'n'socket, lockout on breaker, or positive mechanical off in built-in switch.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
covered em all there larry....
standard wiring practices that is...
unless someone wanted to put a single pole swith under the sink and feed dw from it.
but who whould?
trying to give back....since i get alot of good help here.

h20

M
"unless someone wanted to put a single pole swith under the sink and feed dw from it.
but who whould?"

Me, I do that all the time.

R
Hey you guys ever put a cord cap on 12/2 or 14/2. or make a cord of any sorts? Can you legally?with all the UL stuff and listed for the purpose? Thats why I do the switch and direct wire method got into a pissing contest in wilmington with inspector for making a cord not listed and all that but at the time I had no time for so installed switch and direct wired. No problems anyone have any feed back about this.As far as can you make a cord to plug in the dish washer?

G
Whirlpool will sell you a dish washer and disposal with a factory installed cord and plug. That eliminates the need to field build anything.
My favorite builder doesn't get the appliance drop until a day or so before closing and using cord and plug means the install won't require another trip from the EC

Greg Fretwell
R
Appliance installs are extra.Around here the place where they purchase them from always installs. But for the Home owner builder we install all as part of the deal up front.

Well can you legally make a drop cord?Even one for job site use.....liability should anything ever happen.I see them all the time 12/2 to house but what if someone gets shocked and has accident man wouldn`t the lawyers eat that up? Who made it.

R
Redsy Offline OP
In-Sink-Erator makes a Disposal cord meeting the requirements of 422.16(B)(1), but I've yet to see a cord available that meets the requirements of 422.16(B)(2).
As a hedge, I installed a receptacle in the sink compartment(I will buy or build a cord), and purchased a "breaker-lock" for the CB.

A
It's mostly switches under the sink around here for DW. The exception is the few like Bosch that has a cord. A few places require the DW switch at counter top hight. For disposals it's allways 3/8 greenfield.

We put a 1900 box (4x4) under the sink with extension rings thru the cabnet. Then we run the wips to that an put on what ever garven is needed.

Tom

H
Has anyone out there seen AHJ's accepting the ON/OFF switch on the DW for the "Disconnect" means? Or do most AHJ's want the lockable/or plug & cord?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard