ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9293 04/22/02 10:19 PM
B
BrianM Offline OP
I am considering moving into the electricians field. I am currently an aircraft mechanic but looking for something a little more stable. I am located in San Antonio, Texas and I am looking at a 2 yera program at a local Community College. Upon completion I will receive 2000 hours from the city towards a journymens license. I will also receive an Associates Degree. Would this enable me to get an entry level job in the state? Any comment swould be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for your time. Also does anyone know what kind of pay I could be looking at starting out.

#9294 04/23/02 07:07 AM
R
You should find a contractor who will hire you during your school phase. Or, since you have a mechanical backgroung, maybe a maintenance job that includes electrical systems. The amount of understanding you gain will increase much more if you are working in the field while you go to school.

#9295 04/23/02 10:20 PM
E
In your area are you required to go to school before you can work as an electrician? If not I would go to work for an electricial company full time, even if you go to school you will be more likely to understand your class work as it relates in the feild and after two years on the job you will have 4000 hours towards a journeymans license. As for pay, I'm in Georgia and I pay 12.50/hr for unexperienced wire pullers and $14 -$20/hr for experienced good help plus bonuses. Also for perspective, in georgia, we don't have Journeymen electricians, you either have a masters license or nothing. Hope this helps.

#9296 04/24/02 12:06 AM
E
I would have to agree with Redsy, if you can get a job working for an electrical contractor, while you are going to school, it will help alot. That's what I did. I worked for a contractor 8 to 4 every day, and atended class one night aweek for 4 hours a night. Did that for 3 years, and the results were amazing. Working with the stuff, and then going to class and finding out what it is that you were actuly doing with the electrons is neat. You'll learn alot in class, but hands-on learning is very importaint also. Best of luck...

#9297 04/24/02 07:57 AM
Well Brian,
My nurse tells me that you have come down with the "electric bug" that been floating around lately. I recently wrote a prescription for Stan to try and help him with his electric illness. I usually tell people who want to be an electrician to have their head examined. Then they say, "Hey Doc, man, you're an electrician." To which I reply, "Who's the Doctor here? huh? Now get on the table. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]" Well, Brian, I think you will live. I'm going to give you the same prescription that I gave Stan. I'm going to prescribe an "established" apprenticeship program. With a balanced diet of on the job training. You will need plenty of exercise in pipe bending, theory, installation of equipment, methods, materials, etc., etc., etc. As The Watt Doctor, I would advise you to seek out local resources to help you with your employment ailment.
You can take this industry as far as you want. Otherwise, take two wire nuts, and call me in the morning. Pay the nurse at the window.....next patient.....please.

Wattological Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard