ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9288 04/22/02 09:52 PM
F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
i have a couple questions regarding what is customary regarding tempoary power on a residential job.

1.)Does the meter go in after the rough-in or final?
2.)What about when tempoary power is NOT requested and is NOT part of the contract?
3.) What is customary in regards to temp power?
4.)What needs to be completed before tempoary power is authorized? In other words, only one breaker for one GFCI with no other circuits connected.
5.)What would you do if you had a contract that does not provide for any tempoarary power and the GC demands it or threatens to withhold payment?

I usually provide an outlet as soon as the meter goes in. I am not familiar with what my city requires for a tempoary outlet. there is nothing in writing that i know of. why not ask? becuase that would have been one more question in a long string of questions about rough-ins, temp power and final inspections. it seems to vary from inspector to inspector and nothing is in writing. i had one inspector that would not pass a rough-in unless all breakers were installed and connected and i had another that passed the rough-in/final without all breakers installed. i will be asking tomorrow what is the procedure. i just wanted to find out what other ec's do?

thanks for any insight and advice.

-respectfully

frodo

#9289 04/23/02 06:00 AM
S
1.)Does the meter go in after the rough-in or final?
I've done this either way.

2.)What about when tempoary power is NOT requested and is NOT part of the contract?
well if it's not written, it's extra...

3.) What is customary in regards to temp power?
usually i supply pole mounted temps ( made from old service upgrades, meter/main, 2 GFI circuits. I will charge a service call X2
( put up , take down fee) and a dollar a day rental 2 months up front ($60), the contractor can pay the utlity fees. Now if said contractor will sign with me, then they can have the temp free, utility fees aside.

4.)What needs to be completed before tempoary power is authorized? In other words, only one breaker for one GFCI with no other circuits connected.
I supply 2 -20A GFI circuits, i'll write up a rental agreement as such. Usually the only trouble wil be the floor sander guy, and his/her 50A 240V unit. But He/She should not appear until the finish stage.

5.)What would you do if you had a contract that does not provide for any tempoarary power and the GC demands it or threatens to withhold payment?
Oh yes phrases like " my last electrician" , "it's a customary gradituity"
"we just expect it" or similar are simply from GC's that do not wish to do thier homework. We can make life hard too, case in point , i'll contract with prints & explanatory followup and include that all else not written or shown is EXTRA. The 'extra' will be @ T&M with a $50 surcharge over & above the T&M

#9290 04/23/02 05:46 PM
A
1. Its nice to have the meter in on the rough.
2. Depending on what they do in your area. Around here, the power company will set the meter, and for an additional charge, it will be installed with a PCM (temp power).
If you install the meter and temp power, than I guess its an extra.
3. I ussually put a GFCI on the laundry plug for the temp power.. .. other ussual standards are, furnace and sump. Panel is banged up on the rough, so you can do the temps.
5. If the power company installs the meters, tell him he has to have them install PCM's. If thats not a possiblity than? Get it in the contract? Just do it to make em happy? Tell him to take his crappy sub, leave the job and become a plumber? [Linked Image]
Good Luck

#9291 04/24/02 10:02 PM
N
In IL.: We set the meter base OH/UG and panel, two 20A breakers, two GFI'S. These are at the panel location on wall or panel depending on inspector. Utility is typically called by GM, the insall is done when GM contacts us and schedule is set. AHJ signs off on install, utility will run wire, hook, install meter, fire-up. We do service and don't go back until the house is ready for electric rough.
As to a temp. on a 1st or second floor, size of house is a factor, typical house 5000 sq.ft., base, 1st, 2nd, they get the panel and one GFI on 2nd floor after we are done with rough. Typical is this is a curteousy of the company to the GM, of course the $$$$$ for the work is built in to the overall job. We just hook to a dedicated circuit, such as a whirlpool/bath so the hot isn't in too many openings for the drywallers, and less areas we have to protect the bare ends of wires. [Linked Image]

#9292 04/24/02 10:22 PM
A
We have to work of the temp pole until the job is ready for permanent power (devices in, panels trimmed out, lights in or capped off). Get caught jumping off a temp pole to the building, get fined and shut down.

Link Copied to Clipboard