ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 430 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Maybe this will work for you.

Since the area below 18" is classified, we put handlamps on a (>18" from) ceiling mounted cord reel.

[Linked Image]

When fully extended, this light will not quite reach 18" from floor level. Therefore, it's not in the classified area.
Most of the work is done with the vehicle on a hoist anyway

[Linked Image]

Now if they'd just quite buying the ones with the convenience receptacle in them.......

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Interesting that this should happen in Maine ,maybe 40 miles from my house.
http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=109837&z=179

WASHINGTON - A roaring fire erupted Wednesday afternoon at Vigue Bros. auto garage on Route 17, near the intersection of Route 220, when a mechanic was removing a gasoline tank from a vehicle being repaired. The mechanic was taken by personal vehicle to an area hospital after suffering burns while trying to extinguish the fire, Fire Chief Thomas Johnston said Wednesday. The chief did not know the worker's last name, but said he had been working on the vehicle. He did know that the man was treated and then released from the medical facility.

The combination of tires, gasoline and other flammable items typically inside a repair station fueled the 1 p.m. blaze at the auto repair shop and used-car sales business, Johnston said. The blaze drew about 45 local and mutual aid firefighters from Washington, Union, Jefferson, Somerville and Whitefield, he said, as well as equipment and engines from those towns.

Vigue Bros. is owned by Tim and Chris Vigue, Johnston said, noting they started the business about 15 years ago.

The garage and all equipment were destroyed, Johnston said, noting firefighters were able to access the office and remove business records and computer information.

Johnston believes three people were working at the time the fire broke out, but no one else was injured. Two vehicles inside the garage were also ruined. The chief did not have a dollar amount of damage to the property.

Because the condition of the building was unsafe once the fire was doused, an excavator was brought in to help knock down the remaining structure and smother the fire.

The local TV news reporter said the owner claimed the light that dropped and broke was supposed to be Explosion proof [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 03-04-2005).]

H
Electure, I can't believe that would last very long. Mechanics are going to want to pull it horizontally to reach areas not directly under the reel. Maybe that will work with the vehicle 5 feet up on a lift (still think it would be a PITA) but isn't going to cut it at all on the floor.

I think two things need to be done here. First is that the areas need to be reclassified where fuel system work is done. Second, vehicle manufacturers need to take some responsibility and make fuel systems safer to work on such as by adding provisions to safely drain a fuel tank when it needs to be removed.

-Hal

A
"owner claimed the light that dropped and broke was supposed to be Explosion proof"

Maybe just because a light is explosion proof does not mean it's safe if it's droped and breaks. The explosion proof work light I seen listed were fluorescent but there could be incandescent out there.

Seems more like the problem is with an incondescent lamp when the bulb breaks the filiment ignites fuel vapors.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...16961-1209528?v=glance&s=electronics

These are not listed as explosion proof but are sold as almost unbreakable and shock resistant. If it's like others I seen it will have a power switch under the rubber end cap. By keeping the lamp light weight made with flexable ruber and plastic it would take some effort to break one. It does not have a outlet in it and it runs cool.

Tom

Cat Servant
I have trouble accepting the report that an explosion-proof drop light broke, and started the fire.
Is it possible?....sure, anything is possible. BUT-
This hazard is taken into account in UL testing. Such lamps are required to have "cages" over the bulbs, and the tests almost guarantee that the globe will be of very heavy tempered glass. In some cases, there is also a device required to cut power to the lamp if the globe is broken.

And- say what you want about drop lights- I've seen a number of places use $8, 500w halogen lights in place of them. I think this is less safe, from a fire viewpoint; but it does give the mechanic excellent light!

C
Walrus, interesting post about the garage drop light fire. That garage was 8 miles from my dad's home. Explosion proof light? Sure it was. It must have melted in the fire.
Al

W
Seems to me if you're going to sell a mechanic a light thats exp. proof and meant to be used in the repair of autos( and all that entails as far as abuse goes). It shouldn't start a fire in the course of normal work and dropping it is normal. I have no idea what really happened, it just struck me funny that a garage around here had a listed Exp Prf. light. Personally I doubt it was Exp. Prf. Having worked on cars in a shop, the flourescent ones I've used would be nearly impoosible to break without swinging them like a baseball bat.

With all the talk of the high prices of explosion proof handlamps, we might keep another thing in mind.

A lube reel and hose, 1/2"X50' will run about $600.00 (reel/hose only)

A Snap-on open end wrench set 1/4" to 1-5/8" is priced at $1,088.00

Both these items are found in lots of auto garages.

It's an expensive business for outfitting properly.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard