ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Around here I would say 99%+ GEC's are terminated in the meter can. So much easier that way.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
MY QUESTION.. what difference does it make? Meter or first ocpd?

The ground is the most unlikely of all conductors to get abused. Once installed it is virtually untouched for it's entire life.

I have yet to get a call or be sent on a call to fix or replace a damaged or a loose ground wire. I am not saying it can't happen. But a Jumbo jet could slam into it too.

This is probably the toughest conductor of them all. As a matter of fact if I am correct a #4 or larger doesnt even require protection or support.

A solid conductor is hard to secure but if done right I see no need to require access. I cant access a buried acorn unless I dig it up...thats not accessible.

-regards

Mustang

R
Greg, you and I are in perfect unison here.

Roger

O
In our local Power company EUSERC notes,
GEC shall be located outside of the sealable section.

M
Roger-I am not trying to beat a dead horse here but I was just curious as to what the concensus was on the subject. I am glad to hear that someone out there is seeing what I am seeing.

I figured a lot of inspectors would reply.

To me it really doesn't matter but it sure is worrysome to try and figure out what each jurisdiction wants. Some places will provide a handbook others it is just time on the pond.

-regards

Greg

J
JG Offline
It is my understanding that the GEC must be taken to the first means of disconnect,hence the panel board. 250.24 From that bus you may take it to the meter base. The meter is not a disconnecting means IMO.
JG

T
In REA coops there was often a service standard requirement to connect the Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) to the drip loop at the service drop. It was believed that this would provide superior lightning protection. At one home that I did the heavy up on I ran the GEC from the drip loop through the attic and down to the water service because the basement was finished. The inspector said I couldn't do that and I wrote him a letter to request the decision in writing. He replied with the green sticker in the envelope. I guess that he realized that not having seen it before was not a good reason to turn it down.

It is true that some utilities do not want anyone except their staff to open the meter enclosure. The use of locking rings in place of the lighter gage ceiling rings is becoming more common. Ringless meter enclosures are also being locked rather than sealed with greater frequency now. The connection is allowed inn the an accessible meter enclosure but since utility action can render it inaccessible it may no longer be best practice to terminate it there.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
T
JG, 250-24(A)1 doesn't say first to the disconnect, " any accessible point from the load end of the service drop or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnect." Why would you want to take another wire out to the meter socket when the socket is already bonded to the grounded conductor?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard