ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
AFDD's coming to the UK
by Texas_Ranger - 01/17/23 07:22 PM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#882 03/28/01 04:13 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 118
I would be interested to hear how in your neck of the woods, when you have completed an electrical installation, Say a house thats just been built or a factory recently finsinhed. Do you get it inspected and get the power put on by another authourity or do you do it yourselves. do you have to fill a electrical compliance type cert..?

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,392
that would really constitute 52 separate answers, with variations from each of the 52 as to specifics. Inasmuch as it's called the NEC here, there is not much of a nationally recognized format for inspections.

Myself, the better jobs include some sort of authority allowing energizing, insuring licesed workers, etc. I really wish it were so universally. The final hookup is usually done where i am by the utlity as they want responsibility for said splice.

[Linked Image]

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,081
Likes: 3

Counting each state in the US as each having only 1 answer would be optimistic and misleading. There are many states where rules are made on the County or even Town level.

Old Appy,

The way it is where I am and I suspect many other places around is that the Utility has the last word as far as procedure goes. They require an Inspection by a certified agency prior to final hookup.


Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 60
Here in New York it varies by city and county. In NYC, NYC has it's own inspectors which inspect your work and give the OK for the utility to energize the service.

In the suburbs where I do most of my work. My work is inspected by the New York Board or Fire Underwriters. Which is a private company, most towns, and smaller cities use the board in lieu of hiring their own inpectors.

A new house typically requires three inspections. A temp inspection, says that your service equipment is up to snuff and can be energized. Ten there's a rough inspection where your inside wiring is looked at and signed off before wall coverings (sheet rock) can go up. Then after you're done a final inspection will be done and a certificate issued. Most building departments require this certificate in order to issue a certificate of occupancy.

A typical house will cost me between $45 - $75 depending on how much stuff is in there. There are also filing fees at some towns which run $10 - $25 depending on the town, some towns let you deal directly with the underwriter, some don't.

The underwriters are usually very congenial to deal with, the inspectors are usually retired electricians or other contractors. And the certificates provide great leverage in getting paid that final check.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 118
Sounds pretty similair to here, Thou we being so small have a nationwide set of regs and tests to follow then it gets connected by inspectors.for a fee!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
kamloops BC Canada
Posts: 1,158
Joined: May 2003
Top Posters(30 Days)
BigB 9
triple 3
Popular Topics(Views)
302,551 Are you busy
231,904 Re: Forum
216,540 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5