ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#882 03/28/01 05:13 AM
O
I would be interested to hear how in your neck of the woods, when you have completed an electrical installation, Say a house thats just been built or a factory recently finsinhed. Do you get it inspected and get the power put on by another authourity or do you do it yourselves. do you have to fill a electrical compliance type cert..?

S
Appy;
that would really constitute 52 separate answers, with variations from each of the 52 as to specifics. Inasmuch as it's called the NEC here, there is not much of a nationally recognized format for inspections.

Myself, the better jobs include some sort of authority allowing energizing, insuring licesed workers, etc. I really wish it were so universally. The final hookup is usually done where i am by the utlity as they want responsibility for said splice.

[Linked Image]

Sparky,

Counting each state in the US as each having only 1 answer would be optimistic and misleading. There are many states where rules are made on the County or even Town level.

Old Appy,

The way it is where I am and I suspect many other places around is that the Utility has the last word as far as procedure goes. They require an Inspection by a certified agency prior to final hookup.

Bill

Bill
S
Here in New York it varies by city and county. In NYC, NYC has it's own inspectors which inspect your work and give the OK for the utility to energize the service.

In the suburbs where I do most of my work. My work is inspected by the New York Board or Fire Underwriters. Which is a private company, most towns, and smaller cities use the board in lieu of hiring their own inpectors.

A new house typically requires three inspections. A temp inspection, says that your service equipment is up to snuff and can be energized. Ten there's a rough inspection where your inside wiring is looked at and signed off before wall coverings (sheet rock) can go up. Then after you're done a final inspection will be done and a certificate issued. Most building departments require this certificate in order to issue a certificate of occupancy.

A typical house will cost me between $45 - $75 depending on how much stuff is in there. There are also filing fees at some towns which run $10 - $25 depending on the town, some towns let you deal directly with the underwriter, some don't.

The underwriters are usually very congenial to deal with, the inspectors are usually retired electricians or other contractors. And the certificates provide great leverage in getting paid that final check.

O
Sounds pretty similair to here, Thou we being so small have a nationwide set of regs and tests to follow then it gets connected by inspectors.for a fee!

Link Copied to Clipboard