ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#83893 02/23/03 10:58 PM
N
nancyf Offline OP
I have searched all over the internet and can not find the answer to my question. I would appreciate it if one of you knowledgeable folks could help me. I had a swimming pool installed in November, and did all the necessary work, like moved lines, changed my electrical service and had some underground wires run into the house. I passed a final inspection on 11/11/02 and now out of the blue I get a notice of violation in the mail 3 months later. I have no clue what this is and would like to approach them with some knowledge. The violation says
Not approved. Michigan Residential Code 3306-4. I live in Michigan if that helps. I am sorry if these kind of questions are not appropriate, but I really need to know. I would like to thank anyone in advance that can help me.....

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83894 02/23/03 11:27 PM
D
Don't know what final was done in november, whether it was building, electrical or plumbing. (yes these are different inspectors usually)

But as for the violation, the code section reads as follows:
E3306.4 Stranded conductors. Where installed in raceways,
conductors of size No. 8 and larger shall be stranded. A solid
No. 8 conductor shall be permitted to be installed in a raceway
only to meet the requirements of Section E4104.

(E4104 deals with pool bonding).

My advise is to contact the inspector and see exactly what needs to be fixed)

Don

#83895 02/23/03 11:34 PM
N
nancyf Offline OP
Thanks Don. I don't understand a bit of it but, thanks for taking the time to respond. The final inspection I passed in November was for Underground electric, change of service and final electric. I have no idea why they came out 3 months later and said something was wrong. I am sure it is a political issue (long story) and thats why I wanted a little knowledge before talking to the inspector tomorrow. Thanks again!!

#83896 02/24/03 07:40 AM
W
It would seem to me that if you have a final inspection tag in hand, they will have a hard time putting the Genie back in the bottle.

#83897 02/24/03 10:50 AM
M
Nancy, If I were you I would contact your eletrical contractor and ask him about this. You should get at least a one year waranty on his workmanship. Hopefully he can rectify this problem. Good Luck!

#83898 02/25/03 01:45 AM
S
Sorry, I don't live in Michigan so am unfamilair with the code references but what was the final inspection for? The electric service to the house? The electrical final may not have been a final for the electrical or bonding for the pool.

As far as politics are concerned, I won't say it doesn't happen, but I am one town outside of Chicago (the most corrupt town on the planet as it used to be known) and am not abreast on developments or political issues. Usually inspectors are genuinely concerned with your safety, even if you don't understand the code.

Link Copied to Clipboard