ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Roger Offline OP
I posted this at the M.H. forum also.

Talking to another electrician today who works in another area.

He tells me there is an inspector in this area, who says, when using NM in a commercial building, the NM in attics and basements must be enclosed on both sides, within 15 minute finish rating in living area and attic or basement area.

He said the inspector is using (twisting in my oppinion) the wording of 334.10(3).

I proceeded to tell him I was glad we do zilch in NM work and don't work in this area.

After thinking about it,I thought I would see what oppinions would come up here.

Roger

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I have never run into this before, but he may have a point after reading 334.10(3). Learn something new everyday. I almost always use MC cable anyway for commercial.

S
requiring all residential basements to have a 15 min. fire rating would be a stretch...but what trade would he come down on?

R
Why on both sides? Doesn't 1/2" sheetrock provide a 15 minute rating? Or is it 3/4"? Either way, if this rated material meets the requirement of a 15 minute barrier, anything on the other side has no effect.

Rick Miell

Clue me in guys:
Quote from above:
"He tells me there is an inspector in this area, who says, when using NM in a commercial building, the NM in attics and basements must be enclosed on both sides, within 15 minute finish rating in living area and attic or basement area."

Are we saying above that the ceilings must be 15 min. fire rated: and the "floors have to be 15 min fire rated also??

Or to put it another way:
OPen joist ceilings, or attic floors CANNOT have NMC wiring???

1/2" sheetrock is at least a 15 min fire rating. 2 layers of 5/8" make a 1 hour wall I believe. Tommorow, I have to ask the Building Inspector, and the Electric Sub-Code Official (Head Inspector) for clarifications.

John

John
S
well good luck John,
somehow insinuating mc cable for residential wiring reeks of that steel tube institute's vengance on the 3 strory nm deal.... [Linked Image]

The clarifications will have to wait until Tuesday evening, as both gentlemen where "out" today, & I don't go back 'till Tuesday
John

John
R
Roger Offline OP
I hate it when somebody or an inspector uses (in their oppinion) the "thats not the intent" clause.

But in this case, the pure wording of 334.10{3}, IMO, is not the intent. [Linked Image]

Roger

H
I am reading the IAEI "Analysis of the 2002 NEC" book and on page 185 in reference to 334.10 it says "Type NM, Type NMC and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:

(1) One- and Two-family dwellings.

(2) Multifamily dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12

(3) Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and Type V construction except as prohibitied in 334.12. Cables shall be concealed within walls, floors or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies."

Does this help?

S
a 15 min f-rating to protect the dwelling or the dwellings occupants??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard