ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hello:

I am installing a new elevator controller on the top of a 23 story building that requires a dedicated equipment grounding conductor that will be run back to the service equipment location. Running this EGC, with the existing phase conductors is not possible without first removing them. The raceway is a 3 inch Rigid Galvanized Steel Conduit, and appears to be a good grounding path with no corrosion, and all fittings are tight.

I have a spare conduit that runs along this conduit that I would like to use.

This appears to be a code violation per Article 250, but I wonder if the CMP is referring to the service conductors, and not to an equipment ground.

I am aware that the impedance of the system may be higher if I do this.

Is this allowable?

Thanks,

Peter Volpe
Electrical Engineer

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 05-21-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
I haven't seen the 2002 version, but Phillip Simmons' Soares Book on Grounding on the uses and abuses of grounding has been outstanding.

G
Peter,
You did not say if the service is a separate service or not. Most elevator rooms I've done are so we will assume this one is also.

You can install an equipment ground in it's own conduit. Yup it raises the impedance WAY high in this case but don't forget, it plays almost no role in fault clearing at any rate, it's only there as a 0 point reference.

My big question is WHY do you need one running all the way back down to, I assume, the building grounding electrode from the 23rd floor? Is there no building steel? In lieu of that, is there no grounding electrode in the closets for xfrmr reference?

If elevator equipment is that sensitive, this stuff is doomed anyway, or are the elevator people becoming like computer people, you know "Our stuff is special".

Good luck.

R
George,
This is an EGC not a grounding electrode conductor and it will carry the fault current. I don't see any exceptions even for an isolated EGC. It is required by 250.134(B) and 300.3(B) to be in the same raceway as the power conductors. If the circuit is above 200 amps or so, the additional inductive reactance of an EGC in a second matallic raceway may very well be high enought so that the OCPD does not open.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
G
Don,
OOOOOOPS, I did get that wrong. agreed [Linked Image]

Broom Pusher and
If this is an IGC [Isolated Grounding Conductor] I think you could run it separate from the Subfeeder or Branch Circuit's Conduit and comply with the NEC.

The "Gurus Of The NEC" have the answers, whereas I only have suggestions and thoughts.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G
Gwz Offline
Scott,

Doesn't 250.146(D) Say " - - - run with the circuit conductors. - - - ." ?

The basic rule of 250.134(B) is not altered by the word " Isolated " of 250.146(D) which is part of 250.146 Section.

Link Copied to Clipboard