ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 42 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80579 04/29/02 10:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 9
Junior Member
New guy here,my background is in Industrial work and have recently decided to try a little residential on the side so please pardon my ignorance.

Now for the questions:

1. Pool pump 680.22 (5) requires GFCI protection for pool pump motors up to 240 volt....Do pool pumps (240v) come with a neutral connection? If not and they are straight 240v how can a 2 pole 20amp GFCI breaker trip with out a neutral connection???

2. Since an insulated ground in coduit is required to the pump motor to keep the equipment ground from picking up stray voltage, would it not apply to recpt/lighting circuits as well? In other words can you use UF and direct bury for lighting (up to wet niche j-box) and recepts around the pool?

Thanks in advance

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#80580 04/29/02 02:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 840
A 2-pole GFI breaker compares the current between the 2 hot legs on a sraight 240 volt circuit. If one is less than the other, there must be leakage somewhere, and the GFI will trip.

#80581 04/29/02 02:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 9
Junior Member
If pump is hardwired with a switch at pump does it still require GFCI?

#80582 04/29/02 04:36 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 36
Yes, It still needs to be GFCI. You could wire the pump 115 Volts and cord and plug it into a GFCI receptacle. As for the pool light (wet niche) cannot be run in UF. You must have an insulated grounding conductor from your source (breaker) in conduit without a splice to the light. Some inspectors allow a splice at the switch but you will have to check with yours.

#80583 04/29/02 04:39 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,116
Likes: 4

You'd better ask the local inspector about the hardwired pump and if it needs GFCI protection (240v). He has the last word. As far as the UF goes, you cannot use it for the pool light or anything related with the pool. You really should go over all of this with the local AHJ before you get started if you have never done this before.


[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 04-29-2002).]

#80584 04/29/02 06:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,044
Tom Offline

If you can find a copy of the 2002 NEC Handbook, check it out, the drawings & explanations are really good.


Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#80585 04/29/02 06:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 9
Junior Member
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I do not have the 02 Handbook, just the regular codebook. I understand most of article 680, just wanted to clarify the above points.

The AHJ (from what I have been told by local pool guy) routinely passes UF for the entire installation, I was able to read enough to figure out that wasn't right.

The county in question is somewhat rural and apparently not very strict.... I just want to make sure it's right despite what AHJ says they will accept as a minimum.

Thanks again, very informative board, glad I found it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5