ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#75512 03/02/07 02:36 AM
E
e57 Offline
Me too... Next to the icon/short cut that brings me here.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#75513 03/02/07 09:50 AM
Z
I find just he opposite of this forum than the original post implies. Everybody is very helpful and seem rather happy to be of assistance. If you want to see some attitudes, check out Mike Holts forum some time. I certainly intend no disrespect to Mike, but some of the people on that forum make a point to be abrasive and ugly.

The only time we shoot anybody down here is when they clearly do not belong in a professional forum, and are asking questions of us that imply that they are a "weekend warrior" and are in way over their head - in which case we usually point out that they should contact a professional - for their safety and those around them.

#75514 03/02/07 12:34 PM
G
I agree, some of the other BBs are loaded with a lot of people who want to pick a fight. The worst are those who call themselves "instructors". It seems that if they ever tricked someone to pay to listen to a couple hours of their drivel they become self appointed experts. That may be the biggest flaw in the CEU system. It seems that anyone can get a "course" approved.

Greg Fretwell
#75515 03/02/07 10:04 PM
C
I don't post very often, mostly because I don't have that much time. As my wife calls me an old grumpy dinosaur, I very much enjoy this place and try to follow the threads because even "old, grumpy dinosaurs" can learn a lot of new stuff. At least, sometimes it's new to me and some of the info here has helped me in my business by making the work practices a bit more efficient.

In this business, every little bit helps out.

Even though I am still involved in the aviation regulation area of work on a full time basis, I still have the EC business to run on the side, supported by a couple of superb apprentices that do most of the "grunt" work during the day when I'm tied up inspecting pilots and aviation operators.

The information here on this board has been very helpful from time to time because there is a stupendous wealth of knowledge, experience and skill lurking around here and for the most part it seems genuine. Whenever someone (other than an obvious hacker) needs some advice it comes flowing forth in large helpful gushes.

Yes, sometimes folks get a bit PO'd and go after something or someone, but that's kind of normal in any line of work, so no, I don't think there has been a change in tone on the board, and I hope most of the rest of us see it the same way. BTW, sometimes I too get annoyed at things - not only here but at life in general, but I've found that even as an "old grumpy dinosaur" sometimes it's best to sit back for a bit and wait and think before hitting someone or the "send" key. Usually the "hitting" has some kind of consequence.

#75516 03/06/07 12:34 PM
X
When I first became a member here, I tried to participate, and encountered the same. My posts seemed to always be replied to with comments that were made to prove me wrong, or leave me in a position to answer back in hopes I would make a fool of myself. Therefore, I don't make many posts now, but I do come here to read and learn new things.
And yes, I've learned a lot.

#75517 03/06/07 12:56 PM
Cat Servant
Hmmm ... two posters who've been made to feel unwelcome at times .... for the "home team," this should be a wake-up call.

Otherwise, I was once at another forum where the self-appointed electrical "guru" took exception to my opinion. Even to this day, he will occasionally accuse me of being an electrician (as if that were a bad thing [Linked Image]). Yet, his ranting and flaming stopped the moment I called him on it.

If someone 'dumps' on you, call them on it. We have a trade that covers an immense amount of ground, and no one knows it all. Often, there are more than a few 'correct' answers.

Different folks have different styles; it sometimes pays to let things slide. If someone is being rude, you can usually count on others to jump in.

A fine example of the self-control exercised by our members was seen a few years ago. A gent with a user name similar to "Wacky Tabaccy Toker" posted that he loved electric work, but didn't like attics, crawl spaces, ladders, or being in the weather. He sought career advice. That the responses were lacking in profane remarks is a small miracle.
You can be sure we were all tempted [Linked Image] BTW, don't bother looking for that thread; THAT time the moderators made it 'disappear.'

#75518 03/06/07 01:03 PM
G
"This reminds me of a kid in school that was "always first to raise his hand with the correct answer. It was considered an attribute there, and I don't see why it shouldn't be here, as well"

Did anybody like this kid?

#75519 03/06/07 01:39 PM
L
LK Offline
"This reminds me of a kid in school that was "always first to raise his hand with the correct answer. It was considered an attribute there, and I don't see why it shouldn't be here, as well"

Yes remember well, one is now the mayor of a large city, and the other is our local doctor.

#75520 03/06/07 04:40 PM
G
Once again being a professional,doctor or politician is being held up as the measure of success...uh not in my book.

#75521 03/06/07 08:16 PM
BTW, don't bother looking for that thread; THAT time the moderators made it 'disappear.'

That's OK, some of the moderators have banned themselves before *Cough*Scott*Cough*Mike*Cough.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard