ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#74924 02/07/07 03:07 PM
Personally I would rather buy a "fixer upper" than to buy a house that was "renovated" since most renovations are purely cosmetic. At least when you buy a house in the original condition you have some clues to what you have to fix and you won't be ripping out newly finished cosmetics to get to the systems they should have fixed.

Ditto!!

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#74925 02/07/07 08:43 PM
I
ITO Offline
"AHJ? Inspector? What's that?!?"

Take a look at NEC 2005 Article 100 Definitions.
(pp 70-26)

Sure the shows are not entirely every thing you see, but it does happen exactly this way often enough. Improvements to infrastructure don’t increase your house value, while cosmetic improvements can have a double return. It’s an interesting peak into the American value system.

I completely rewired my old house from the ground up, new service, new branch, new devices and lots of new outlets. I even put in a sub panel to my detached garage, with lights and outlets for my workshop. Added value when I put in on the market ZERO. The realtor could not have been less interested in the updated wiring, and even told me he cant sell new electric service, but I had put in a new kitchen that would have helped. We sold the house for less than I wanted.

101° Rx = + /_\
#74926 02/07/07 09:36 PM
Believe me, I know what the AHJ/Inspector is, but I'm not sure some of the TV Personalities do.

Ian A.

#74927 02/07/07 10:03 PM
I
ITO Offline
I am certain they know what one is, especially when one shuts down the show until they get a permit.

101° Rx = + /_\
#74928 02/08/07 05:06 AM
E
e57 Offline
Im sure many of those type of shows have had some serious "Inspector" issues in them, as many have been sued for slipshod work done during them. (Or attempted to be sued...) But that does make for good TV veiwing so that all hits the editing floor. Notice that even "This old house" rarely shows an inspector actualy on the show...

I believe there are a few guys around here that even have been on one of those shows if I remember right?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#74929 02/08/07 09:14 AM
I am certain they know what one is, especially when one shuts down the show until they get a permit.

Good point. They know what/who he/she is, but doesn't contact them until the show gets cut.

Ian A.

#74930 02/08/07 12:20 PM
I
ITO Offline
The point I was trying to make is still the same, our work in not valued until the AJH makes someone do it, and then it is just seen as a waste of money done for bureaucratic reasons. The only time our trade becomes important is when a house burns down, then you had better hope all the electrical was done exactly by the book, or someone may get sued.

Look at the original topic, it was a Fire Marshal that had his own house upgraded to cover the demand he felt two daughters would create, it was not your average home owner. The average home owner would rather have granite counter tops than a new code compliant and safe service, and he thinks Decora devices are much more important than the actual grounding.

“Out of site, out of mind is completely” apropos.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 02-08-2007).]

101° Rx = + /_\
#74931 02/08/07 10:46 PM
J
I was watching "Flip this House" once and they had just purchased a bathroom mirror that was too large and covered the light switch. The guy said "it's ok, we'll just move the swtich." In a later shot, there is the light switch moved and a huge patch in the wall.

Hidden junction box/flying splice in the wall, anyone??

Joey

#74932 02/08/07 11:30 PM
L
Cutting corners to make a profit, those type 'renovations' are filled with violations that the unsuspecting buyer is not aware of. IMO

That show is interesting to watch though. I would like to see a show where us electricians are also filmed. Instead of just what is on the surface of a renovation ie; drywall, hardwood flooring, landscapes etc.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#74933 02/09/07 02:16 AM
F
i did saw one show i dont rember when one guy got ticked off when he saw the tag on the doorway saying dont have proper permits and shut the place down until the permits is line up.

that guy was really ticked off but i going to laugh they did not get the proper permits before they start drag the tools there and do it

i dont know why i noted that most show they never say anything about inspection and O/C permit at all

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard