ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
We were told at meeting this morning we will be getting uniforms, I asked what these uniforms were made of. I was told they are polyester and cotton. I told foreman that as far as I know electricians are not supposed to wear polyester blends, his rely was pretty much just shrugging his shoulders and an oh well attitude.

I know why we don't wear poly blends but can't find anything on OSHA site that says we can't, any idea where I can find this?

I'm going over his head tommorrow morning, I'm pretty pissed that wanting cheap uniforms is more of a priority than our safety.

I
ITO Offline
Unless you are working Medium Voltage, you might want to just drop it be happy to get some free shirts.

101° Rx = + /_\
Cat Servant
Let's see... OSHA claims to be using NFPA 70E. As this code is often understood, even taking a voltage reading in a panel requires the first level of PPE- which would include non-metling clothing.

That's the claim.

I suppose the only sure answer would have to come from an OSHA response to an actual complaint.

Are you ready to step forward, and make that complaint?

L
LK Offline
"Unless you are working Medium Voltage, you might want to just drop it be happy to get some free shirts."

So your saying, he can only have molten metal hit him from a medium voltage arc?

I
ITO Offline
No, its just not an argument he will win. You have to choose your battles.

101° Rx = + /_\
E
e57 Offline
Tell 'em poly will make you stink profusely.....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
There's no regulation against wearing polyester/cotton blend shirts.

You just can't wear them while working on energized equipment.

I wear a short sleeve 65%-35% cotton-poly shirt as a regular work shirt.
I have a FR cotton shirt AVAILABLE anytime that I need it, and I wear it when necessary.
After all, you don't see guys running conduit and cable or digging ditches wearing insulated gloves, do you?

I
ITO Offline
You just can't wear them while working on energized equipment.

There's the right answer. I will use this when my guys whine.

101° Rx = + /_\
L
ITO, what does medium voltage have to do with it, I guess you have never heard of an arc flash from 480v? If not maybe you should listen to your guys when they "whine", you may learn something.

Electure, good point and something I did not think of, what about the pants though? I guess NOTHING will be touched thats energized from when we get the uniforms on, after all we were told they are required to be worn at all times and it's against company policy to work on energized equipment anyway unless it's an emergency , I'll just follow company policy to the letter. [Linked Image]

I
ITO Offline
I have seen 480V blow up and melt busses; you know it’s a really bad idea to measure the buss with a tape measure.

You know what the difference between an electrician and a puppy is?
Eventually that puppy will stop whining.

None of my guys work 480V hot.

Dont take it personally, I am not trying to be an (edited), but working with electricans all my life has made me one anyway.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 12-11-2006).]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-12-2006).]

101° Rx = + /_\
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard