ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7274 01/29/02 08:46 PM
It has been our aim to provide where we see a need and be as useful to our members, patrons and the Industry as we can. After speaking to some local Inspectors and IAEI members I've had the idea that it could be very beneficial for them (and others) to have a Forum to easily communicate and poll others with similar interests and responsibilities. To make it most useful and accomodating to them it would be hidden from public view thereby offering some privacy and freedom from distractions. One suggested creditial needed for participation would be IAEI membership.

I hope that this would not detract in any way from our present forums and serve to attract even more participation by those with serious interests in our trade and it's future.

Your feedback is welcome

Bill

Bill
#7275 01/29/02 09:05 PM
S
It is interesting that you should suggest a level of privacy for a group that has no such function at their own Site
[Linked Image]

#7276 01/29/02 09:45 PM
Sparky,

Can you elaborate a little more on your response? The only thing that you are pointing out is the absence of similar 'accomodations'. Does this mean that you see no potential benefit to this?

Bill

Bill
#7277 01/29/02 10:33 PM
D
Bill - I think what Sparky is saying: At the IAEI site they do provide a forum for their members but it is not private...so why would this site provide a private forum for IAEI members that their own site does not consider necessary.

Another way of looking at it is - why should these guys (IAEI) get a special benefit from this site?

I am an IAEI member but don't see any benefits to being so.

#7278 01/29/02 11:02 PM
Dana,

Thanks for your response.
I am an IAEI member. Many of 'these guys' (IAEI) are already here.

I am sure that there are many people (ie. Inspectors, AHJs etc) that are serious about the trade and code issues that would be very hesitant to post in an open forum. In a place where they know that they will be in the presence of peers and possibly a more reliable pool of information they may come forward and ask that question. That's where they benefit from being a part of an association.

I am an IAEI member but don't see any benefits to being so.
So, why can't that change?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-29-2002).]

Bill
#7279 01/29/02 11:37 PM
R
I'm a member of IAEI, but that doesn't automatically mean that I know what I am talking about. I don't see membership in the IAEI making the information posted any more reliable then that which is posted by experienced people from the trade. A privte forum makes me think that some inspectors have something to hide.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#7280 01/29/02 11:56 PM
Don,

I was in no way inferring that IAEI membership meant anything other than being part of an organization of people that were serious about what they were doing. I really didn't expect to draw all negative opinions on this.

Bill

Bill
#7281 01/29/02 11:58 PM
G
OOOOF, as an IAEI member of nearly 20 years seniority (LONG before I was an inspector) I agree with Don, Sparky, and the others.

Being an IAEI member does not mean you understand,
how many times have I asked the opinion of the forum here? ANYONE that presumes to say they understand every aspect of this trade, is not a bright individual.

I think if we start hiding anything on this forum, we lose what is a REAL good situation. Just because someone says "I don't like the way you enforced that" does not change my opinion if I believe I have theory, and good trade practice on my side.

Now, I am an inspector, and an IAEI full member (no longer associate) my vote is

HIDE NOTHING

#7282 01/30/02 12:13 AM
E
What the heck, why not just do it and see how it goes?
All this discussion reminds me of a comment by a home owner, at another electrician site, that he didn't realize how stupid electricians were..or sometihing to that effect. He mistook difference of code interpretation as a sign that we really don't know what we're doing. It might be helpful to create some "firewall" for "inspector" discussions. I personally don't care. I'm NOT an IAEI member, and if those who ARE want to have there own little private group then they can have at it. And when they are done sorting it all out, they can bestow upon us their great wisdom..kind of a trickle down theory. Course they might be 'trickling' in the wind, after they face an open forum.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 01-29-2002).]

#7283 01/30/02 12:46 AM
I want to make it clear that the 'private' part as it is being referred to was my idea, not that of anyone else. This was something I was offering to a local chapter for their use and what I thought would be a tool they would use and it would be nice to invite participation of other members.

Of course some will think that someone is hiding something but I think that's a pessimistic view of things. If IAEI membership is one condition for participation it could hardly be considered private. I just thought it would provide a more productive and accomodating atmosphere that would entice more to participate.

Maybe I'm wrong, I thought I saw an opportunity to provide a service that could benefit everyone somehow including those that we haven't heard from yet.

If anyone else would like to add an opinion please do, either here or my email:

Bill@Electrical-Contractor.net

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-30-2002).]

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard