ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71621 11/03/06 03:56 PM
D
It would appear as if someone,(I wonder who?)decided to highjack my moniker, for whatever reason, and register it on other sites.

It ain't me.

Kinda lame, don't you think?

#71622 11/03/06 08:36 PM
S
20+ years ago, I needed to find a name for a corporation that I was forming. It took us 100 calls to the Corporation Commision to find a name that someone wasn't already using.

It's very possible that somebody cooked up the same name all by themselves, without actually stealing it from you.

But of course, there'll always only be one Dnkldorf in our hearts around here. [Linked Image]

#71623 11/03/06 10:47 PM
E
e57 Offline
Several years ago, I wanted to get E57.com ($20 registration), and decided to wait for a little bit - two weeks! Then that domain name got taken by some software company. They had it for a wopping few months before it died.... Now, the bidding for the name starts at $500.... As anything like E123, or Ewhatever, etc. It is as if domain registration companies purchased Edictionary... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#71624 11/03/06 11:19 PM
P
I once tried to register my PEdoubleNIZZLE s/n on a free email site. It was already being used. I was soooo mad that someone with my last name would go and use the "gangsta" version of my name.

I emailed the person asking who they were, but I didn't think I'd get a response. I did get a reply, however. It turns out we're 9th cousins, once removed. She lives in the village in England where my family supposedly originated from (and I say supposedly, because there's a family rumor that the Penn family was originally french and had a slightly different name.) Just for the record, this is the same Penn family as William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania.

We're good online friends, and we might even meet up one day if I ever veture to the UK (Wanna tour Scotland), but I'm still upset that I had to find another site to use my email (ended up settling for hotmail. This was about 6 years ago, and I've abandoned it becasue a bunch of nice Nigerian fellows want to give me money [Linked Image])

[This message has been edited by PEdoubleNIZZLE (edited 11-03-2006).]

#71625 11/04/06 12:06 AM
G
Way back in the early 90s when I was thinking about what I was going to do "after IBM" I thought I might try to work around the edges picking up the scraps they left on the floor. At that time they wouldn't touch a contract less than $50,000. I registered the business name in Florida "Blue Light".
My logo was "Blue" in the 13 bar IBM type face and "Light" in a script similar to the margarine logos. Neither ever sued me.
I thought of registering "bluelight.com" at
that time and it was still availble. I didn't ever actually get around to doing it but I bet Kmart would have paid me a pretty penny to get it. They have it now.
Now I am Blue Light Inspection Services on my cards.

Greg Fretwell
#71626 11/04/06 08:00 AM
P
It turns out we're 9th cousins, once removed. She lives in the village in England where my family supposedly originated from

It's quite fascinating to trace family roots. A few years back I ran one of those "track your family name" things, especially as Coxwell isn't exactly a common last name.

It turned out there were far more Coxwells in Alabama, Georgia, and northern Florida than in England! (Funny that, as I really felt at home traveling that part of the U.S. before I found out about the connection.)

I did contact a few of the people down there, and found out that one distant relative is a preacher, and that another traces back to this fellow:
http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10300944

#71627 11/04/06 01:03 PM
Administrator
I think he means someone is intentionally impersonating him somewhere.

We don't need to bring any outside battles in here so I am closing this thread.

Link Copied to Clipboard