ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Greenbriar, Fairfax County Virginia, 2200 homes all of the same 6 designs, circa 1967-1971. The last of the Levitt communities. Easy to work on as once you did one the other types were all the same. Originally priced at about 15,000, now going for close to half a million.

L
LK Offline
He built 3 or four sites in Jersey, but then came the copy cats, kendal Park, was one of the largest copy cat builders, we were paid 35 cents an hour, to stage materisl, out of school early, and we would pile in the car and head for the job.

Okay. Wow, I didn't know he had <b>that</b> many.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
L
LK Offline
Ian,

They would build model homes, take orders, then if they had eniough intrest, start building, many developers copied the levit homes, some were sucessful, and some never built more then the models, they called these levit homes, when in fact they were developed by other builders, riding on the levit name, the projects in somerset, and old bridge, were called levit homes, but were copies, of levits success, levit had developed the first production homes, making them affordable to almost everyone, after the long island project, the whole country changed the way homes were built.

This is a good post, i wonder if anyone still has an electrical plan set, they actually had, wiring plans.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 07-04-2006).]

Thanks LK.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
P
Over on this side of the Atlantic, we had large numbers of "prefabs" (pre-fabricated) homes erected to help relieve the acute housing shortage at the end of World War II.

There were various designs, the Arcon models being one of the best known. Various construction methods were used, but tubular steel roof supports with asbestos roof sheets and a kind of cement sheet for the exterior walls were very common.

The prefabs were intended to last for about 10 years until more "conventional" housing could be built, but many of them are still around today, much loved by their residents.

http://aghs.virtualbrum.co.uk/agww2/prefabs.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites/newport/pages/article_prefabs.shtml

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/interesting/prefabs/prefabs.htm

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-05-2006).]

C
C-H Offline
Few Swedes can afford to build anything but a prefab (modular home). There are some fairly large areas of identical wooden boxes, built in the 1970's. The Levittown houses look like an architect's dream in comparison. There are homes worse than this but I find no pictures.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 07-10-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard