ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#65298 05/01/06 06:01 PM
D
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/

Scroll down till you find the link:
"Can you trust your repairman"

Dnk...

#65299 05/01/06 06:25 PM
N
Any way for those of us who refuse to use IE to view this?

#65300 05/01/06 07:07 PM
M
they do these setups every now and again. crooks are crooks. doesn't matter how they charge, their still gonna be a crook. These expose's do more to hurt our industry than we realize. rather than knowing their actual cost and charging according (ethically and legally) on each job. They try to be low priced and resort to this stuff to make a buck.

makes you understand why consumers think the way they do of us. this is their viewpoint and point of reference.

These setups never focus on the legal and ethical contractors that do right by the customer.

#65301 05/01/06 07:17 PM
E
I use Mozilla Firefox in place if IE and the link seems to work just fine
-Will

#65302 05/01/06 07:36 PM
F
the first repairman certainly did his job correctly, and we all should be as considerate and honest as him. What do we gain by dishonesty? What does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul?

#65303 05/01/06 11:23 PM
W
Just curious why would a HVAC guy called in to fix a A/C even look at the water heater.

#65304 05/02/06 07:43 AM
R
"rather than knowing their actual cost and charging according (ethically and legally) on each job. They try to be low priced and resort to this stuff to make a buck."

maherle,
Does it always have to come back to this, dosn't it? The honest guy knows his costs, and charges appropriately, the crook is someone who doesn't know his costs?

Or..

Maybe he had to raise enough money to cover his full-page ad in the yellow pages, or maybe his boss offered "incentives" & commissions. I wonder of he is paid "piecework"

Live & let live brother.

#65305 05/02/06 10:45 AM
M
actually redsy it does.

i don't care if you charge flat rate, T&M or barter in wampum.

What else is this about? You don't know your costs, you look for ways to make up your shortfall.

but as I also said, a crook is a crook. By my statement "ethically and legally" i was actually referencing made up overcharges. If my financials show that I need to charge $1000/hr legitimately, then I am not overcharging. But if they show that I need $50/hr, but I charge $1000, then you get into a legal arena.

But Redsy, it will always come back to this. For the simple fact my friend, everything in any business comes back to this. It's the basis for everything and anything we do on a daily basis. Doesn't matter how you charge, just know how much and why.

Now, my question to you is this - What do you have against trying to teach contractors about running a better company and making a better life for their family?

Why are you so against guys charging what they are truly worth so that they don't have work 60 hrs a week and pinch pennies to get by?

Thats what I don't understand.

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 05-02-2006).]

#65306 05/02/06 06:01 PM
R
Quote:
"Now, my question to you is this - What do you have against trying to teach contractors about running a better company and making a better life for their family?

Why are you so against guys charging what they are truly worth so that they don't have work 60 hrs a week and pinch pennies to get by?"

maherle,

I can't imagine anything I've said that could lead you to belive I am against either of the things you say I am.

It is not me who has resorted to hyperbole, such as "dragging the whole industry down", the "straw man" arguments stated above, and the analogies to "Starbucks Coffeehouse", which is an entirely different industry with little in common with electrical contracting.

Every business is different, and every business person in each business has different objectives.

That is what you seem to be unable to understand.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 05-03-2006).]

#65307 05/02/06 07:24 PM
D
Quote:
"Now, my question to you is this - What do you have against trying to teach contractors about running a better company and making a better life for their family?

Got any credentials as to how you know what you are teaching?
A teaching degree?
Any Expertice in Economic theory?
Proven history in market capitalization?
A business name or website, that would prove your are an electrical contractor that actually started a business.

I find it interesting that you, mahlere, continue to blame other contractors, for ruining the industry, and now blame the news media.

Quote:
These expose's do more to hurt our industry than we realize. rather than knowing their actual cost and charging according (ethically and legally) on each job. They try to be low priced and resort to this stuff to make a buck.

This story didn't ruin our industry at all, all it did was inform consumers, that some contractors are trying to take advantage of them by being crooked...

So tell me, why are you against that?

Dnk..

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 05-02-2006).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard