ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#63583 03/21/06 11:51 PM
H
My POCO uses a locking meter ring and refuses to give out tools to local electricians. Any help in identifying the locking means and obtaining a tool would be appreciated. I could email a picture of the lock to anybody that experience with this. Most of the time it isn't a problem, but there have been times (late night service calls)when I would have been a lot more comfortable if I could have pulled the meter.

I spoke to our local fire cheif and the fire dept is not privy to the unlocking tools as well, isn't this a safety issue? Shouldn't they be able to yank the meter as a means of disconnect?

#63584 03/22/06 12:57 AM
Cat Servant
Come on, HG, you've been in the trade long enough to know better!

Pulling a meter does not always disconnect the service.
Nor is pulling the meter considered the required "disconnecting means."

More to the point, mere posession of the security tools, as well as replacement seals, can very easily -on the whim of the PoCo alone- become a crime. "Posession of burglary tools" is one such charge that may be charged.

Utilities have some of the atributes of governments; it's their meter; and they have the right to control access to it.

#63585 03/22/06 02:56 AM
G
I do see his point. How do you replace a defective main breaker without pulling the meter? I suppose you can do it hot ... if you are brave.

Greg Fretwell
#63586 03/22/06 03:51 AM
E
e57 Offline
Reno's point about handling the "keys" to the meter and most POCO's is about right of access to equipment. POCO meter, on customer owned equipment. Most are good enough to come out and remove it when you ask. Although you may be waiting for several days... Years ago, I realized I could get quicker service on this by skipping a few beurocratic channels, and got the dispatch number, and I usually get someone by in 1-2 hours. Often the reason I would need to get one off, is a "High/Low voltage issue" which usually gets them out quick. I am also not opposed to cutting a service at a head, or underground if it can be done safely...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#63587 03/22/06 04:42 AM
I had to show a POCO guy a couple months ago how to use the key . I will try and find a link to one.

#63588 03/22/06 09:38 AM
H
I fully appreciate Reno's response and understand the legality issues.
Most of the time I can get the power company out in a resonable amount of time. Just before I made the post I was trying to get them to come out after hours. I had a call to a home where the owner had a main that was tripped and had the handle broken off.
The lineman who returned my call told me, "Do it hot, that's the way we do it." He refused to come until the next day.
Of course I know pulling the meter doesn't always disconnect the power.
My intent is not to steal power or destroy equipment. I have a hacksaw, but I don't intend to cut the lock off someones tool chest with it, and steal their stuff.
Anyway..........thought a little more background was in order.

#63589 03/22/06 05:03 PM
L
LK Offline
yes call, the dispatch number, When we get these jobs, we understand it may take hours for the utility to show up, so if it is an overhead service, then just disconnect at the head, if it is underground, wait for the utility to remove meter, we just bill the customer for waiting time.

#63590 03/22/06 09:37 PM
Getting caught attempting to, or succeeding in removal of ANY security devices on utility metering equipment within the State of New Jersey is considered 'theft of services' and can result in $5000 fine and/or 60 days in jail. (BPU/NJ)

I have seen a few enterprising 'sparkies' use vise grips, an awl with a bent tip, a hammer, and the best was a hole saw. Within some neighborheeds, I've seen four (4) barrel locks with what looked like 10 lbs of brass plated steel on a CT cabinet. PSE&G has the biggest varity of security locks.

BTW: PSE&G has 24 hr trouble men; yes you may have to wait....but they do come!

John

John
#63591 03/22/06 10:29 PM
B
HG, they use those here for people who don't pay their bill. Once you have a non payment history, the lock stays. I usually just cut them off with a 4 inch grinder. Next one I get I think I will disassemble it and see if I can't make a key.

#63592 03/23/06 10:00 AM
M
Locks? What are those? In my town (pop 327) they only use rings for keeping the meter from falling out. I haven't seen any locks on anyone's service here...

Now, in Las Vegas, that was a different matter...

Mike Wescoatt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard