ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 402 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Giving up my Jets season tickets would be tough to do. Also, giving up my 3 night a week ice hockey habit would be tough to give up. But an easier life sure is appealing.

S
You wear that jets jacket and you will not have an easier life.

P
The climate would be a big draw for me. I traveled around SC a fair bit back in '93 and loved it down there.

But then I'm worse than a Yankee. I'm a Redcoat! [Linked Image]

G
Uh, Paul,
You DO realize why YOU are acceptable over a damn yankee?

We all still revere the Swamp Fox, and his 'minor' contribution to the Revolution. And we ain't fergot William Tecumseh Sherman. [Linked Image]

NUFF SAID?? [Linked Image]

come on down ANYTIME brother, hey, ya kin even bring that Kiwi wit ya! Jist don't say yore going to Nooo Yalk first. [Linked Image]

M
shock,

if you go down as a contractor, you have the opportunity to do real well. If you go down as a field electrician, you will be in the same position as here (just with better weather)

As a field tech, the pay rates are reflective of the lower cost of most things. But as a contractor, you create your own destiny and can really make a good life for yourself.

good luck

G
You may want to check in with the state itself too.

I wouldn't think a license from NJ would reciprocate with South Carolina, I may be wrong though. You might want to finish school then go take the test in S.C if that is where you end up.

Either way you go, good luck and god speed.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

W
Shock
They will see your shoes and make it very hard for you to get licensed here. You know we are the home of the good ole boy system, and you ain't a member.

F
I am in Wilmington NC. About an hour and a half north of SC. I am a transplanted Yankee and a licensed electrical contractor. The test here in NC is supposed to be one of the hardest tests in the nation. It is not easy. I am licensed for residential for now, and may take my limited in the future. There is a right to work law and unions are not popular either.
Wages are so low that the people building the homes can not afford to live in homes like they are building. Retired yankees are buying up the nice homes and driving up the prices. If you are coming South, bring your own money, cause you sure can't earn it here working for someone else.
North Carolina does not recognize Journeyman or Master cards. They only recognize licensed electrical contractors, and only a licensed contractor can do electrical contracting. I went to school at night for 6 months to study for my license, and had to have notarized documentation from my former employers attesting to my time in the trade as well as secondary experience. Only then did they allow me to take the test. We had people as far as Myrtle Beach come up to Wilmington to take these classes two nights a week.
Breaking into the business is difficult also. Everybody seems to know each other for years and generally shy away from newcomers from the North. Do your homework, and prepare to get your license if you want to earn a decent living down here.
Good Luck

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard