ECN Forum
Posted By: ShockMe77 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/07/06 10:56 PM
To make a long story short, my folks are both getting ready for retirement and have already bought a home that they rent out in Myrtle Beach, S.C. They tell me the housing market (new, remodels), are going up all over the place down there. Though my rents' know little about the electrical trade, especially the business end, they seem convinced that I could do better down there than I could in New Jersey. I disagree.

My question is this, has anyone here ever moved from the northeast (I'm in NJ) to South Carolina as an electrical contractor and done better there than here? I know there are no shortcuts to success, just curious what some of the others have experienced doing something similiar to this.

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 03-07-2006).]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 12:18 AM
shock,

as a contractor or a field electrician?
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 01:30 AM
Hi Shock,
This isn't a specific answer to your question but might be a useful part of the big picture. Use this link to determine how much you need to make at your new location to live at the same standard you do now.
Joe http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html
Posted By: e57 Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 01:45 AM
Hmmm.... Grew up on the northeast coast. (Boston) Spent some time in South Carolina. (About a year) And I can say this: It - is - a - huge - change - in - intensity, - everything - moves - at - a - much - slower - pace. [Linked Image] Not that it's a bad thing, but it takes some getting used to. You might want to visit first.

You could rise to the top of very thin cream. Or wear yourself out trying to whip some air into it. You'll also have to learn how to speak in colorfull analogies, it seems to be the language of the south...
Posted By: watthead Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 01:55 AM
Hell yes, because all these "Damn Yankees" that are lost are down here driving in the fast lanes.
Posted By: e57 Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 02:00 AM
Oh, and did I mention, that you'll always be an outsider - I mean Yankee. [Linked Image]

Just remember to shop for shoes before you leave, you might have trouble finding some place to buy them down the line.
Posted By: Surfinsparky Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 02:14 AM
It is a lot easier to turn a wire nut when your hands are not frozen.
Posted By: watthead Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 02:25 AM
Surfin
Don't tell them that or before we know it they will all be down here building these shoe store things. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 02:34 AM
With all them golf courses down there, I'd be in serious trouble.

The phone would stay off way too much.....

Dnk...
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 03:06 AM
As of right now I'd be a field electrician. I don't have my license just yet but I am going to school right now. Tonight I learned about current leading the voltage and inductive reactance, capacitant reactance, phase angles, and so on. Exciting stuff I tell ya!

Anyway, I did stay in Charlotte, NC for 3 months in 1989 so I am fully aware how different everything is compared to New Jersey. I have admit though, I knew nothing about the shoes thing [Linked Image] I'll make a note of that.

If, and that's a big if, and when I go down there, I would want to be licensed. I don't think it'd be a good idea to move down there without one, being a Yankee and all. [Linked Image] But for the most part I get along with southerners from my experiences in the service, there was never a problem then so why would there be one now?

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 03-07-2006).]
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 03:11 AM
Giving up my Jets season tickets would be tough to do. Also, giving up my 3 night a week ice hockey habit would be tough to give up. But an easier life sure is appealing.
Posted By: Surfinsparky Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 03:15 AM
You wear that jets jacket and you will not have an easier life.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 09:05 AM
The climate would be a big draw for me. I traveled around SC a fair bit back in '93 and loved it down there.

But then I'm worse than a Yankee. I'm a Redcoat! [Linked Image]
Posted By: George Corron Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 11:34 AM
Uh, Paul,
You DO realize why YOU are acceptable over a damn yankee?

We all still revere the Swamp Fox, and his 'minor' contribution to the Revolution. And we ain't fergot William Tecumseh Sherman. [Linked Image]

NUFF SAID?? [Linked Image]

come on down ANYTIME brother, hey, ya kin even bring that Kiwi wit ya! Jist don't say yore going to Nooo Yalk first. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 12:23 PM
shock,

if you go down as a contractor, you have the opportunity to do real well. If you go down as a field electrician, you will be in the same position as here (just with better weather)

As a field tech, the pay rates are reflective of the lower cost of most things. But as a contractor, you create your own destiny and can really make a good life for yourself.

good luck
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/08/06 10:45 PM
You may want to check in with the state itself too.

I wouldn't think a license from NJ would reciprocate with South Carolina, I may be wrong though. You might want to finish school then go take the test in S.C if that is where you end up.

Either way you go, good luck and god speed.
Posted By: watthead Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/09/06 01:59 PM
Shock
They will see your shoes and make it very hard for you to get licensed here. You know we are the home of the good ole boy system, and you ain't a member.
Posted By: festus Re: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - 03/12/06 02:12 AM
I am in Wilmington NC. About an hour and a half north of SC. I am a transplanted Yankee and a licensed electrical contractor. The test here in NC is supposed to be one of the hardest tests in the nation. It is not easy. I am licensed for residential for now, and may take my limited in the future. There is a right to work law and unions are not popular either.
Wages are so low that the people building the homes can not afford to live in homes like they are building. Retired yankees are buying up the nice homes and driving up the prices. If you are coming South, bring your own money, cause you sure can't earn it here working for someone else.
North Carolina does not recognize Journeyman or Master cards. They only recognize licensed electrical contractors, and only a licensed contractor can do electrical contracting. I went to school at night for 6 months to study for my license, and had to have notarized documentation from my former employers attesting to my time in the trade as well as secondary experience. Only then did they allow me to take the test. We had people as far as Myrtle Beach come up to Wilmington to take these classes two nights a week.
Breaking into the business is difficult also. Everybody seems to know each other for years and generally shy away from newcomers from the North. Do your homework, and prepare to get your license if you want to earn a decent living down here.
Good Luck
© ECN Electrical Forums