ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
winnie Offline OP
Hi,

On a project we are using the 'California Style' twist lock connectors, eg the CS83-65C (similar part numbers across several manufacturers). These are rated at 50A, three phase, and there are various connector styles for different voltages. They are available as both male and female cord caps and as panel mounted inlets and outlets.

We are about to add several new pieces of equipment, and I am trying to decide if we should stick with these connectors, or change over to a different type.

These connectors are somewhat difficult to get, but not too bad (read: my local supply house can order them, I can find them online, but McMaster doesn't carry the range.) The price seems a touch high, but not too bad ($40 - $100 depending upon supplier). The biggest downside is that the connectors are three pole plus ground; no neutral. This isn't so much a problem with our current apparatus, but is a flexibility issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for connectors that I should look at as alternatives to the CS connectors?

Thanks.

-Jon

J
JBD Offline
Have you looked at 60A pin and sleeve devices? You can get some styles that are interchangeable between manufactures and others that are not.

You could try to go with a 5 wire connector, for the sake of versatility, but that would be a little more rare and a little more expensive.

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
J
You haven't said what the mechanical requirements are, but if they're not severe, maybe the Anderson PowerPole types would work for you.

The single-contact housings are available up to 180 amps, and they can be ganged into multi-contact plugs (they are "hermaphroditic," or genderless) and they can be panel-mounted also:
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/pp/pp.html

McMaster sells these in five colors, see e.g. 8026K2.

Anderson also offer multi-contact latching housings up to 10 circuits at 45 amps:
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/powerpak/ppolepak.html

I believe these are all rated to 600 V.

W
winnie Offline OP
Thanks!

JBD, Radar

I guess if I really want the neutral, then I'll have to go to the pin and sleeve connectors. My experience is that these are nice but quite a bit more expensive than the CS type twist lock connectors.

John

I'll have to give the Anderson connectors another review. I _like_ these connectors, but was only familiar with the loose 'power pole' connectors and the twin terminal connectors for battery charging.

While the mechanical constraints are not particularly severe (cords laying on a surface between components under test or being used for testing), I would really like to have an enclosure with a clamp that grabs the outer cable housing. The idea of having an SO cord with the outer housing removed, and individual conductors going into the single pole housings, simply feels wrong to me. But perhaps I could use the Anderson connectors, and use their 'mounting staples' to attach the connectors to a support, and then clamp the cable housing.

Basically, if I could get the 'Powerpole PAK' devices that you identified, but for the 75A PowerPoles, that would be ideal for my application.

-Jon

J
Jon, you and I suffer from the same problem: We can visualize exactly what we want, then we're surprised when nobody makes it!

Link Copied to Clipboard