I have never seen anything like it but I will go woith your guess and say its to keep birds from landing and possibly bridging out those phases that are close together.. A.D
In the catalog, you can see all the cross arm hardware, the v brace appears to be bolted abpve the flat crossarm support, and bolted to the nearend of the crossarm, could be the crossarm, had some damage or is in need of replacement and this was used for temp support, the catalog has a complete pole line view on page 3
I vote for the bird theory. I see a lot of innovative solutions to that problem in areas where large raptors or scavanger birds roost on poles. It makes sense because it's only on the side where the lines are close together.
[This message has been edited by jraef (edited 01-25-2006).]
Bird guards is right, IMHO. Most of the ones I've seen are on transmission lines, but they do make all sort of varmint guards for the lines.
In fact, if you look at the transformer in the first picture, the gray caps on the bushings are also insulated varmint guards, as well as the gray caps on the fuses.
My guess is this area is awash with squirrels and/or birds.
"I've never seen a secondary line laid out horizontally like that."
They are very common like that here.
Anyway Rndy, I did see them before on a post somewhere with someone asking the same thing. I can't remember where... I also can't remember if it were squirels or birds?
Mark Heller "Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason