ECN Forum
Posted By: Lostazhell What are these for? - 01/25/06 01:41 AM
Just a curiousity... Does anyone know what the "A" shaped piece of metal on the primary arm of these poles are for?

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

I'm guessing something about birds spreading there wings and going phase to phase...
Posted By: LK Re: What are these for? - 01/25/06 04:22 AM
http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/powertest/literature_library/pdflib_outside_Plant.html
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: What are these for? - 01/25/06 12:20 PM
LK, can you limit that page down to a name?

Dnk....
Posted By: hbiss Re: What are these for? - 01/25/06 11:54 PM
Hmmmm, no. I looked through all the pole line stuff and nothing that even resembles those things is there.

-Hal
Posted By: Rewired Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 12:28 AM
I have never seen anything like it but I will go woith your guess and say its to keep birds from landing and possibly bridging out those phases that are close together..
A.D
Posted By: LK Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 12:45 AM
In the catalog, you can see all the cross arm hardware, the v brace appears to be bolted abpve the flat crossarm support, and bolted to the nearend of the crossarm, could be the crossarm, had some damage or is in need of replacement and this was used for temp support, the catalog has a complete pole line view on page 3
Posted By: jraef Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 12:57 AM
I vote for the bird theory. I see a lot of innovative solutions to that problem in areas where large raptors or scavanger birds roost on poles. It makes sense because it's only on the side where the lines are close together.

[This message has been edited by jraef (edited 01-25-2006).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 01:06 AM
I've never seen a secondary line laid out horizontally like that.
Posted By: WFO Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 01:10 AM
Bird guards is right, IMHO. Most of the ones I've seen are on transmission lines, but they do make all sort of varmint guards for the lines.

In fact, if you look at the transformer in the first picture, the gray caps on the bushings are also insulated varmint guards, as well as the gray caps on the fuses.

My guess is this area is awash with squirrels and/or birds.
Posted By: e57 Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 01:11 AM
"I've never seen a secondary line laid out horizontally like that."

They are very common like that here.

Anyway Rndy, I did see them before on a post somewhere with someone asking the same thing. I can't remember where... I also can't remember if it were squirels or birds?
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 01:58 PM
They're all over the place here, and they are for larger birds (Hawks, Crows, Falcons, Eagles...) In a 5 mile lineset I drive most every day they went from triangular to horizontal with these bird things; back and forth a number of times... Where there's a three phase airswitch bar (if that is even the right name...) I can understand, but is there an advantage to two of these per pole vs. the triangular pattern?
Posted By: WFO Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 10:55 PM
My Boss is from West Texas and calls them "Rapture" protection.

I tried to explain the basic differences between the "Rapture" and raptors.

So far, no luck [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: What are these for? - 01/26/06 11:08 PM
I am now guessing they are there to keep the elephants off the poles.....and apparently they are working just fine....

Dnk...
Posted By: WFO Re: What are these for? - 01/27/06 01:14 AM
Quote:
"I am now guessing they are there to keep the elephants off the poles.....and apparently they are working just fine...."

LMAO!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: What are these for? - 01/27/06 03:58 AM
It could be "rapture". There is a blinding flash of light and a soul is on it's way to heaven.
Posted By: rmiell Re: What are these for? - 02/08/06 03:34 PM
Here is a link to an article in the Dec. 05 issue of Transmission and Distribution zine. http://tdworld.com/mag/power_birds_power_lines/

They are both perches and guards. As a perch it keeps the bird further away from the energized equipment, and as a guard, at least in the pic above, on the lower arm, it seems to discourage a bird from landing on the lower arm.

[Linked Image from i40.photobucket.com]

From the zine article mentioned above

[This message has been edited by rmiell (edited 02-08-2006).]
Posted By: rad74ss Re: What are these for? - 02/08/06 05:58 PM
It's a bird warmer.
Posted By: CharlieK Re: What are these for? - 02/08/06 08:34 PM
Come on guys. Its for the high leg..........
right?

Charlie
© ECN Electrical Forums