ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#58990 11/29/05 11:33 PM
S
e57 -

You were the guy we "loved to hate" (grin)

If you did the gas chamber drill properly and not panic (very very important) I never found it to be that bad, even if I had to clear the mask twice.

As part of us "knowing" our gear, we even had to get zapped with the shock batons (we called themn cattle prods).

I had a little green and fried pepper in Thailand that nearly "done me in". Don't have a clue as to what is was...other than HOT. The wiater did come to my rescue with bread and milk (don't think it was cows milk though).

Semper Fi and thank you for your service!

We now continue with our regularly scheduled postings.

Steve

Thanks
Steve
#58991 11/29/05 11:38 PM
S
e57 -

"Mash with potatoe masher into large bowl, and leave 3 pits of the avaocado in the bowl as a presevitive during serving"

Do the pits really help "keep" the dip? Even if refrigerated and then used (used up) the next day?

Do yo uknow hwat it is the pits do to keep the dip fresh?

Steve

Thanks
Steve
#58992 11/30/05 02:36 AM
E
e57 Offline
Have no idea what the chemical proccess is that keeps the guac' from turning brown if you leave a pit or two in it. Maybe absorbes an enzime, that it would normaly in the ripening of the fruit, just a guess. Some say it doesn't matter... It does seem to work though.... Throwing a pit or two in does keep people from telling you that you should, which can be annoying, so.... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#58993 11/30/05 07:14 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Mark (e57),
Trumpy, how was the party?
The nachos were great thanks very much!. [Linked Image]
The whole thing went over rather famously actually.
I've since tried both of the recipes and it's good to know that I can add nachos to my repertiore.
Electure,
Gloves, You bet!! I've pulled up habanero plants that have been dead for 6 months barehanded...nothing but dried up stems. My eyes burned like crazy, my fingers got numb, and I could taste them in my mouth.
Yeah it's really strange how you can taste something like that, when it isn't even in your mouth.
Obviously says something about the strength of the flavour.
Anyhow,
Thanks a bunch to all of those that replied to this thread, some very helpful comments here and very good advice too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#58994 12/02/05 08:30 AM
W
WFO Offline
gfretwell quote:

"The meat was OK but the seeds were dog nutz."

Interesting analogy.

#58995 06/04/06 06:33 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I keep coming back to this thread to make sure I've got the proportions right.
Great recipe Mark (e57)!.
I'm still trying to find the "right" flavour of cheese to use on the nachos.
Our cheese is a tad different over here.

#58996 06/04/06 06:40 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Alan,
I'm sure I'm not alone in not seeing any attraction in overly-hot foodstuffs like chilli-peppers or curry.
No you have the rest of English folk behind you. [Linked Image]
This coming from a nation that will eat kidneys, Ox heart, Brains from a sheep, and tripe from a cow.
I'll take the chili any day mate!. [Linked Image]
I will however admit, I love black and white puddings fried, they are really hard to get here though (as in decent quality ones).

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-04-2006).]

#58997 06/04/06 11:27 AM
E
e57 Offline
Trumpy, cheese is a matter of choice, as with any concoction, it can be modified.

Personaly, a blend of Monteray Jack, Provalone, and Cheddar is nice. Anything that melts smooth is nice. (Often here, you can find what is reffered to as "Pepper Jack", Monteray Jack with a pepper bite.)

However, I would not suggest Brie or Blue, or any of those cheeses that remind one of feet. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#58998 06/04/06 11:52 AM
I
The Pepper Jack is great on cold cut sandwiches if you like some bite.

[Linked Image from paolicheese.com]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#58999 06/04/06 06:36 PM
And for the sophisticated palate! -

My Mum's Sheeps' Brain and Tongue Pudding. [Linked Image]

Note; a meat-pudding is not a dessert in the UK!

3 Sheeps brains, 3 sheeps tongues,
salt.
Soak brains in salt water for 30 mins, remove blood and membranes by rubbing with salt.
Simmer tongues for 5-10 mins in salted water, then skin and slice them.

6 oz plain flour, 3 oz finely chopped beef suet, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Water
Make a stiff suet dough, mixing dry ingredients, then adding water. It is sticky, but fun!

Line a big greased china pudding basin with 1/2" of dough, place meat/brains, sliced, in alternate layers, with some sliced hard-boiled egg, plenty of salt and pepper and cover with a dough lid. It should be about half full, as it will rise.
Pierce the lid, fill the pudding with water and reseal the top. Don't use gravy browning or stock.

Tie a clean [boiled] cotton cloth over the basin, or use aluminum foil, then cook the pudding for at least 3 hours & 30 mins in a steamer. No, you can't use a microwave oven!

For the faint hearted, use cubed steak, or 50-50 steak and ox-kidney, or my favorite is just peeled apple slices and sugar syrup filling as a dessert - don't fill the pudding with water for fruit suet puds. Apple suet-pud steamed for 3.5 hours is nectar, the apple turns pink. Nice with custard.
Warning- eat it hot, as cold suet-pudding is like eating a bowl of solid lard.

Lovely! 6000 calories a helping!

Or, what about a nice boiled lamb's head? [Linked Image]
God's truth, Ma used to brush their bloody teeth!!!

How did we ever survive the War?

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard