ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 09:27 AM
Roger or anyone?.
Could someone please give me a stock standard recipe for Nacho's.
I know that they have Cheese, Chilli beans, Corn Chips, Beef Mince and a few other things.
Anyone care to comment?.
I have a BBQ next weekend and all of the references on the Net have thier own bent on it.
Especially Vegetarian Nachos.
I'd like real Nacho's as an appetiser here.
Can you folks help?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 11:16 AM
Its winter time, you can;t have a BBQ
[Linked Image]
I'd say you need hot peppers in there somewhere. Maybe sweet peppers also. Salsa of some kind, some spicy hot and some not so hot for folks who are wimps [Linked Image]
Posted By: lamplighter Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 04:30 PM
1&1/4 lbs. cooked ground beef
1 package (1.27 oz.) Lawry's spices and seasons for fajitas
1/3 cup water
8 oz. tortilla chips
1&1/4 cups grated chedder
1 cup grated monterey jack
1 large tomato (chopped)
1 can (2&1/4 oz.) sliced olives (drained)
1/4 sliced green onions
Salsa
Guacamole
Sour cream

In medium skillet, combine ground beef, spices and seasonings and water; blend well.
Bring to a boil;reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes.
In large oven-proof platter, arrange chips.
Top with beef and cheeses.
Place under broiler to melt cheese.
Top with tomato, olives, green onion, and how ever much salsa you want.
serve with Guac. and sour cream on side.

For those that aren't wimps, add Jalapenos here and there.
Posted By: e57 Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 06:00 PM
It's summer time down under, don't the Aussies and Kiwis BBQ for X-mas traditionally?

I have occasion to make nachos for BBQ's with marinated skirt steak, and chicken right off the grill.

This is my standard of nachos... I'm not good with portions, but depending on size of party I just make more instead of less, but thats me...

Now this may seem like a lot of work, but the chips are important, I make my own... Store bought bags are too small, and are often too thin and curled up for the purpose of using as a shovel for the rest of the good stuff. <Ahead of time> Take a stack or two ( I get them in stacks of 50, not sure if they are available like that there...), of 6" corn tortillias and cut in too quarters, and lay flat in a pan with hot peanut oil about 2" deep cook until crisp, salt lightly. They will curl a bit, but not nearly as much as say a bag of store bought.

For serving lay out bowls of the other accompiments. Let people build thier own... i.e. Chilantro, Jack and chedder cheese, Guacamole*, salsa* (*I make my own too), Refitos (Re-fried beans cooked down a bit, not too soupy)

Guacamole: (One batch, you may need two)
6 large ripe avacados (firm, but not hard, fleshy)
1/2 cup minced onion (Green)
5-6 cloves of garlic
1 chopped drained tomato for color
Some minced chilantro for color
splash of lime juice

Mash with potatoe masher into large bowl, and leave 3 pits of the avaocado in the bowl as a presevitive during serving

salsa: (Medium heat)(One batch, you may need two)

10-15 Roma tomatoes chopped 1/4"
2 Yellow heiloom tomatoes chopped 1/4"
1 1/2 large yellow onion chopped 1/4"
1 whole bundle of chilantro chopped 1/8"
1/2 bundle of green onion chopped 1/8"
1 bulb of garlic Minced
Splash of lime

Combine in bowl and chill. For "Pyscho hot" salsa add minced flesh (Only) of habinaro peppers to small portion of the above. You will only need a few, use very sparingly and be carefull not to add seeds of this pepper to anything. Discard them, or feed directly to unwanted guests only. Wash hands thoughly, and by all means do not touch your eyes or other sensitive parts of your, or anyone elses body until you have thoughly decontaminated. Ill use of this pepper can ruin an otherwise pleasent experiance...

Serve with chopped mesquite smoked chicken breast,
and chopped marinated flank or skirt steak right from the grill. For my personal marinade I use orange juice, red wine, minced garlic, cummin, and olive oil left to sit over night in the fridge. Grill over hot mesquie fire untill medium well, and chop imediately.

Beans and meat are best kept warm by the fire....

An example of how it all comes together...
Let your guest place a a handfull of chips
in a bowl, add refitos, cheese, meat of choice, guacamole, and salsa, and extra chilantro, or peppers if they want.

Oh, the wife has just told me that you might not know what "chilantro" is? They are corriander greens.... Main spice of most mexican cooking.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-24-2005).]
Posted By: Roger Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 06:22 PM
Mike, I've just opened this thread and can't top Lamplighter or E57's recipes.

I would add that when I handle hot peppers, I use disposable gloves, after an eye rubbing or other sensitive body part mishap with the capsaicin you will know why. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

A good Hors d'oeuvre to go with the Nachos is Black olives stuffed with small pieces of Cayene pepper.

Enjoy your BBQ! [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 07:07 PM
And they say electricians aren't a cultured group.
Posted By: iwire Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 07:16 PM
e57 I am very impressed do you do take out? [Linked Image]

Discard them, or feed directly to unwanted guests only.

ROTFL [Linked Image]
Posted By: lamplighter Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 07:21 PM
Roger,
Your suggestion about the gloves is a darn good one.
I once made the mistake of trying to juice some habaneros to add some zing to a pot of chili.(I'm one of those guys with a cast iron stomach)
After about the third or fourth one, my whole family had to leave the house for awhile.
We couldn't breath, nose running, eyes watering, coughing etc.
I didn't realize it at the time but all I was doing was spraying my whole house with mace basically.
After buying a new juicer, I learned my lesson and won't do it again.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/24/05 09:52 PM
I'm sure I'm not alone in not seeing any attraction in overly-hot foodstuffs like chilli-peppers or curry. Anyone else hate eating curry and stuff? I always find I get burned twice. Why not save yourself all the hassle and put a lit blowlamp in your mouth and then set fire to your pants! [Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/25/05 02:00 AM
Lamp-lighter, e57, thanks a million guys!.
I love my food hot and have the same sort of cast-iron stomach as Lamplighter.
I'm taking on board the comment about wearing gloves while working with this sort of thing.
I had a chilli seed fly into my eye a few years back and Man, you won't let that happen again!!.
I can laugh about it now, but I sure wasn't at the time. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/25/05 07:37 AM
Bob, I don't do take out, but these guys do.... However, not sure it would make it the east coast in a fresh satisfactory manner.
http://panchovillasf.com/page/o5wx/Home_Page.html
One of the best... (If you're in town...)

FYI, the way I described it above is pretty close to what you would find called nachos in most taqueria shops SF to SD. (With slightly different marinades for meats, and a few other vaiations) Once past TJ mexico, one would be hard pressed to find "Nachos" the way we think of them. The closest would be a "taco", which would be an open soft white corn tortilla piled high with the same stuff, and usually served with chips on the side... Nachos and Burritos are pretty much american foods, and vary wildly across the country too. (Even pizza as we know it is an american fast food creation.) Apparently nachos were first thrown together in haste in San Antonio TX in the 40's, and ultimately popularized by Howard Cosell of "Monday Night Football" in 1977. http://sabatos.net/nachos.php
Personnaly I think the Texas, or Football version is well... Cheesy! Usually consisting of way too much cheese (Or canned cheese sauce... ehu!), and little if any meat, and way too heavy on condiments. I preffer the California Taqueria version.

Lamplighter:
I didn't realize it at the time but all I was doing was spraying my whole house with mace basically.
You do know that they REALLY do make Mace from them right?

Heres a short list of Habinero and other pepper mis-haps from yours truly:

Make Hot Wings - inflict chemical burns on your freinds!
Make more Hot Wings - Use restroom, and inflict chemical burns on self! (Wash hands before using restroom!)
Make Mole (Too Hot) - Destroy romantic weekend with girlfriend who is on toilet for almost 48 hours. (Girl was from Texas, and once bragged that "It's not food unless it hurts!" - never heard her say that again!)
Eat a whole chily with seeds - not on dare, ever again.

Still like food that makes my eyes sweat!
Posted By: techie Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/25/05 01:33 PM
No.1 rule of spicy foods: If it dosen't make your sinuses run, it's not hot enough.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/25/05 04:53 PM
Curcumin and turmeric, common ingredients in Asian curry recipes, have shown tentative positive results in the prevention of certain cancer tumors.

Google "curry cancer" for a raft of articles, US/UK.

Alan
Posted By: Admin Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/27/05 08:21 PM
These would add alittle spice to your nachos. These are the hottest peppers I've ever grown. I like spicy food, enough to break a sweat but these are killer. The seeds came from Johnnys seeds in Maine and are called paper lantern peppers. Notice the snow outside [Linked Image]

Jon aka Walrus
[Linked Image]
Posted By: skingusmc Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/28/05 06:44 AM
e57 -

"You do know that they REALLY do make Mace from them right?"

(I must have entirely too much free time, but here goes)

"Mace" is a brand name of personal protection spray first marketed in 1965 by General Ordinance Equipment. The original Mace used CN gas (chloracetophenone)and "may" have used CS gas (O-Chlorobenzyolidenemalonitrile). Both of these are very irritant to the mucus membranes. "Pepper" gas does in fact us OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) and is faster acting and has a more immediate effect, even on persons that may be under the influance of substances.

Having had to train with these gases while in the Marines, and having been the receiver of these fine products (so we would know what it was like, thank you very much...may I have another), the peper spray is (to me) the worse (though DM gas [a vomiting agent] is no walk in the park, but that is another story entirely).

For those who might like to know.

Steve
Posted By: electure Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/28/05 11:33 AM
A handy item to have when cooking with habaneros is a tea ball like this:

[Linked Image]

You can put the pepper inside, get the flavor in your dish, and not have your guests run out screaming because they got a piece of meat or a seed.

Gloves, You bet!! I've pulled up habanero plants that have been dead for 6 months barehanded...nothing but dried up stems. My eyes burned like crazy, my fingers got numb, and I could taste them in my mouth.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/29/05 03:42 AM
I had a haberñero come up wild here. I usually like hot stuff so I gave it a try. The meat was OK but the seeds were dog nutz.

I don't have a clue how it got started and I couldn't get another one going from the seeds but it was some hot pepper.
Posted By: e57 Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/29/05 08:39 AM
skingusmc, I was an E3(1142), with a billet of Training NCO, (Which meant I was the guy inside the gas chamber putting the tabs on, demonstrating taking a mask off and putting it back on, while a staff sergent pushed people in the door.) got to do the walk of the 6' snot every month for the better part of a year in OKI. ( I have some good pictures somewhere...) Personally I kinda of like CS, does a good cleaning of the sinuses.

Only experiance with pepper spray was having a cloud blow back at me.... Goes to show one can not trust wind.

Semper Fi

PS Speaking of Okinawa, and hot peppers, they have a small orange pepper there that is about the size of phillips screw tip that is about the hottest thing I have ever had. I dont think I have ever had anything more potent. No idea what they are called....
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/29/05 09:12 AM
Mark, did you find CS didn't affect everyone with the same severity? When we manufactured CS ammo, using a talc-based CS powder, a small proportion of the workforce, about 10% or less, seemed almost immune, and we selected them for the ops. I've also seen film footage of some rioters seemingly revelling in the stuff. Most others, (like me), got some symtoms even at the low contamination levels inside the building. My boss at that time decided that the extra pay to work on the assembly line, (a few pence per hour), was bull and went down the shop to prove it. He crawled out on his hands and knees and went home violently ill. I think the ops dusted the idiot on his way in!

Alan
Posted By: e57 Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/30/05 01:23 AM
Alan I was going to mention in my previous post, that I did notice something strange. I could be in a SATURATED CS environment for 4 hours straight taking my mask off, yelling at people, take a deep breath, put my mask back on> (Don an clear) and be fine! Then exiting the rich CS environment, the body and lungs would be on fire! I have noticed that the same cane be true with eating hot peppers. You can sit and chew a Habinero, saturate your mouth in it and be fine, until you are done chewing! Take a deep breath, and its like you added oxygen for the real fire to start. That said, I don't think I came accross anyone who immune to the effects, but will say that some do handle them better than others. The ones who paniced got it ten time worse, because they panic, gasp for air that is not there, and freak out. In the proccess of gasping they triple dose themselves.

Anyway, thread jack over....

Trumpy, how was the party?
Posted By: skingusmc Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/30/05 03:33 AM
e57 -

You were the guy we "loved to hate" (grin)

If you did the gas chamber drill properly and not panic (very very important) I never found it to be that bad, even if I had to clear the mask twice.

As part of us "knowing" our gear, we even had to get zapped with the shock batons (we called themn cattle prods).

I had a little green and fried pepper in Thailand that nearly "done me in". Don't have a clue as to what is was...other than HOT. The wiater did come to my rescue with bread and milk (don't think it was cows milk though).

Semper Fi and thank you for your service!

We now continue with our regularly scheduled postings.

Steve
Posted By: skingusmc Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/30/05 03:38 AM
e57 -

"Mash with potatoe masher into large bowl, and leave 3 pits of the avaocado in the bowl as a presevitive during serving"

Do the pits really help "keep" the dip? Even if refrigerated and then used (used up) the next day?

Do yo uknow hwat it is the pits do to keep the dip fresh?

Steve
Posted By: e57 Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/30/05 06:36 AM
Have no idea what the chemical proccess is that keeps the guac' from turning brown if you leave a pit or two in it. Maybe absorbes an enzime, that it would normaly in the ripening of the fruit, just a guess. Some say it doesn't matter... It does seem to work though.... Throwing a pit or two in does keep people from telling you that you should, which can be annoying, so.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 11/30/05 11:14 PM
Mark (e57),
Trumpy, how was the party?
The nachos were great thanks very much!. [Linked Image]
The whole thing went over rather famously actually.
I've since tried both of the recipes and it's good to know that I can add nachos to my repertiore.
Electure,
Gloves, You bet!! I've pulled up habanero plants that have been dead for 6 months barehanded...nothing but dried up stems. My eyes burned like crazy, my fingers got numb, and I could taste them in my mouth.
Yeah it's really strange how you can taste something like that, when it isn't even in your mouth.
Obviously says something about the strength of the flavour.
Anyhow,
Thanks a bunch to all of those that replied to this thread, some very helpful comments here and very good advice too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WFO Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 12/02/05 12:30 PM
gfretwell quote:

"The meat was OK but the seeds were dog nutz."

Interesting analogy.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 06/04/06 10:33 AM
I keep coming back to this thread to make sure I've got the proportions right.
Great recipe Mark (e57)!.
I'm still trying to find the "right" flavour of cheese to use on the nachos.
Our cheese is a tad different over here.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 06/04/06 10:40 AM
Alan,
I'm sure I'm not alone in not seeing any attraction in overly-hot foodstuffs like chilli-peppers or curry.
No you have the rest of English folk behind you. [Linked Image]
This coming from a nation that will eat kidneys, Ox heart, Brains from a sheep, and tripe from a cow.
I'll take the chili any day mate!. [Linked Image]
I will however admit, I love black and white puddings fried, they are really hard to get here though (as in decent quality ones).

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-04-2006).]
Posted By: e57 Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 06/04/06 03:27 PM
Trumpy, cheese is a matter of choice, as with any concoction, it can be modified.

Personaly, a blend of Monteray Jack, Provalone, and Cheddar is nice. Anything that melts smooth is nice. (Often here, you can find what is reffered to as "Pepper Jack", Monteray Jack with a pepper bite.)

However, I would not suggest Brie or Blue, or any of those cheeses that remind one of feet. [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 06/04/06 03:52 PM
The Pepper Jack is great on cold cut sandwiches if you like some bite.

[Linked Image from paolicheese.com]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 06/04/06 10:36 PM
And for the sophisticated palate! -

My Mum's Sheeps' Brain and Tongue Pudding. [Linked Image]

Note; a meat-pudding is not a dessert in the UK!

3 Sheeps brains, 3 sheeps tongues,
salt.
Soak brains in salt water for 30 mins, remove blood and membranes by rubbing with salt.
Simmer tongues for 5-10 mins in salted water, then skin and slice them.

6 oz plain flour, 3 oz finely chopped beef suet, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Water
Make a stiff suet dough, mixing dry ingredients, then adding water. It is sticky, but fun!

Line a big greased china pudding basin with 1/2" of dough, place meat/brains, sliced, in alternate layers, with some sliced hard-boiled egg, plenty of salt and pepper and cover with a dough lid. It should be about half full, as it will rise.
Pierce the lid, fill the pudding with water and reseal the top. Don't use gravy browning or stock.

Tie a clean [boiled] cotton cloth over the basin, or use aluminum foil, then cook the pudding for at least 3 hours & 30 mins in a steamer. No, you can't use a microwave oven!

For the faint hearted, use cubed steak, or 50-50 steak and ox-kidney, or my favorite is just peeled apple slices and sugar syrup filling as a dessert - don't fill the pudding with water for fruit suet puds. Apple suet-pud steamed for 3.5 hours is nectar, the apple turns pink. Nice with custard.
Warning- eat it hot, as cold suet-pudding is like eating a bowl of solid lard.

Lovely! 6000 calories a helping!

Or, what about a nice boiled lamb's head? [Linked Image]
God's truth, Ma used to brush their bloody teeth!!!

How did we ever survive the War?

Alan
Posted By: wv-wire-wrangler Re: OT: Nachos Recipe - 06/06/06 04:51 AM
Well I saw this thread and had to add my favorite nacho dip that my Mom makes. It's not hot (peppers or anything) but boy is it good. And, no need to wait for a BBQ. This is good in the dead of winter.

BTW, this was the first meal my sister wanted when she first came home from college.

1 pound hamburger
1 medium onion
small jar of favorite (or cheap, your choice) salsa
package cream cheese
cream cheese
sour cream
shredded chedder cheese

Brown Hamburg and onion, drain, then add salsa.

In a 9x11 baking dish altternate layers of:

Hamburg
softened cream cheese
shredded chedder cheese

Top with extra chedder cheese

Bake at 300 degrees until ingredients are hot and bubbly!!! Serve with you favorite Nacho chips.

If you do want some heat in there, after it's done and you put some on your plate either dowse it with Tabasco sauce or cover with Jalapeno pepper slices.

ENJO0Y!!!!!

Sam
© ECN Electrical Forums