I see in the installation instructions that they use a split bolt (split nut) connection to tie into the neutral at the meter can. The pic clearly shows a copper only split bolt connected to aluminum wires. This aside, anything before the first means of disconnect is service equipment. As such, this device must be rated for service use. Nowhere, that I could find is this device UL or CSA tested, listed and approved. Also, as has been stated, this device is a clear means of eliminating the electrician from the installation. I know I am biased, but, elimination of the electrician is always a recipe for disaster. The service wires coming in have no O.C. protection. Homeowners should never be allowed to mess with them.
Re: New Transfer switch for portable generators#57190 10/08/0506:40 AM10/08/0506:40 AM
Did you folks know that, generally speaking, portable generators cannot legally be connected to the internal wiring of any building?
Most all portable generators have the neutral and ground wires bonded together. It is required to bond the frame of the generator to the equipment grounding conductor (250.4). It is also required to run a separate conductor for the neutral (250.30). The utility power source, at the service, has the neutral and equipment ground bonded together (250.26). There is no way to avoid having a parallel path on the conductors that carry the neutral and the equipment ground to the portable generator: they are bonded permanently at both ends (violation of 250.30(A)(1)). Only a hard wired generator with the neutral NOT bonded to the frame is acceptable as a standby or emergency generator. Most all portable generators have this bonding done at the factory and they cannot be undone. Portable generators are to be used only for cord connected loads, plugged into the outlets provided at the generator.