ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf New Transfer switch for portable generators - 10/06/05 09:40 PM
What do you guys think of these, pros and cons welcome...
http://www.globalpowerproducts.com/generlink.htm

Dnk.......
I think it might be hard to get the utility company to buy off on it. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Chris
Sounds to be easier for power theft.
What about the bonding issues pertaining to the generators neutral?
How does this switch work?
I'm confused....

Just what problem is solved by this device?

Their blurb indicates that it can be installed by the utility in less than 30 minutes.

So?

It apparently has internal logical control which cuts line from load whenever it senses alternate power flowing in.

I don't see a market for his device.
Does anyone see a UL listing for this?

Dnk...
I think this thing stinks because it cuts in to our labor hours. How long does it take to wire one of these, 30 minutes?
There is no way the POCO in our area would install this device. They are simply not set up for this type of Customer Service.

Rob
I see in the installation instructions that they use a split bolt (split nut) connection to tie into the neutral at the meter can. The pic clearly shows a copper only split bolt connected to aluminum wires.
This aside, anything before the first means of disconnect is service equipment. As such, this device must be rated for service use. Nowhere, that I could find is this device UL or CSA tested, listed and approved.
Also, as has been stated, this device is a clear means of eliminating the electrician from the installation. I know I am biased, but, elimination of the electrician is always a recipe for disaster. The service wires coming in have no O.C. protection. Homeowners should never be allowed to mess with them.
Did you folks know that, generally speaking, portable generators cannot legally be connected to the internal wiring of any building?

Most all portable generators have the neutral and ground wires bonded together. It is required to bond the frame of the generator to the equipment grounding conductor (250.4). It is also required to run a separate conductor for the neutral (250.30). The utility power source, at the service, has the neutral and equipment ground bonded together (250.26). There is no way to avoid having a parallel path on the conductors that carry the neutral and the equipment ground to the portable generator: they are bonded permanently at both ends (violation of 250.30(A)(1)).
Only a hard wired generator with the neutral NOT bonded to the frame is acceptable as a standby or emergency generator. Most all portable generators have this bonding done at the factory and they cannot be undone. Portable generators are to be used only for cord connected loads, plugged into the outlets provided at the generator.
Early, many portables do not have neutral bonded to the frame.

I have a 4 year old Coleman 5KW unit with a clear tag that says "Floating Neutral"

By the way another way around this problem is to use a transfer switch that switches the neutral. We use these all the time on jobs that have GFP protection.

Bob
By the way if this unit is installed by the utility it would be under their control and not subject to the NEC.

I do not believe electric meters are listed at all and therefore are not 'service rated'.
Most portable generators state in the manual that you must remove the bonding jumper before connecting to building wiring.
I have also seen stand by gen-sets where the neutral & ground are bonded. I won't mention names but one comes with a transfer switch that does not switch the neutral.There is no mention of removing the jumper in the manual
Switching the neutral only makes for a separately derived source, not a legally connected generator. You will still have a parallel path with the ground and neutral when the switch is turned to "generator".
Thanks for the info on portable generators. I will have to modify my stance, and make sure I get one without the neutral bonded.
You will still have a parallel path with the ground and neutral when the switch is turned to "generator".

No you will not, that is the point of switching the neutral.

Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums