ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#55411 08/31/05 02:13 PM
I
Learjet9
As gfretwell said, some of these people are on the economic edge, They have nowhere to go and in a few cases no way to get there. Of course your point is partially valid as there are always a few striving for a Darwin Award. [Linked Image]

#55412 08/31/05 02:53 PM
T
Favorite quote of the day:
Picture a woman standing on her porch in ankle deep water talking to her towns' Mayor on CNN, "We want our power back!” Mayor's response, "That may take six to eight weeks.”

Mark Stetson
Stetson Electric
#55413 08/31/05 03:28 PM
M
Quote"Well I don't like to be a grinch here but... Why the hell were they on the roof tops? They were told to evacuate, get out, run!! I saw interviews on Fox where some were saying "we're going to ride it out and not leave our home" I realize for the most part they are mostly uneducated people w/o resources, but come on, they understand english. DANGER, Big hurricane coming - get out. "

As of this morning, they might have to evacuate the super dome. Thats where the people who listened to the evacuation advice did go. This thing is a true monster.

#55414 08/31/05 03:28 PM
G
I am not sure what is really going to happen to those people who lived in the poor part of town. If they rent, it will be years before new rental properties come on line and people who own older homes probably won't be able to afford to rebuild. We still have thousands of people in trailers at "FEMA village" in Punta Gorda with no idea of how they can leave or where they would go.
I bet more than half of these people are not insured. Flood, Windstorm and homeowners (3 separate policies) can easily be $3000 or more a year for a shack. Windstorm will typically have a 10% deductible that you have to pay up front, if you do buy it. For these folks, it might as well be a million.

Greg Fretwell
#55415 08/31/05 04:28 PM
L
I think gfretwell makes a very valid point. In FL they don't allow communities to spring up in areas that are not at least 11' above sea level. To allow NO to re-build as it was, some 7' below sea level is just asking for a repeat performance. I know this is cruel under the circumstances, but it might be better to level NO and re-build on higher land. I mean the city is virtually destroyed anyway.

#55416 08/31/05 04:31 PM
G
Sanity check ....
Would you go up into an attic in a flood?
Even if there was no exit?

I think I am going to abandon ship before the water gets to the bottom of the tie beam.
I do bring my "locate" kit from the boat into the house along with a few PFDs when we are looking at a storm, even though this is not a likely flood plain.
In New Orleans I think I would wear a PFD in a rain storm. The place is a submarine. :confused

Greg Fretwell
#55417 08/31/05 07:25 PM
L
LK Offline
One thing for sure, when they rebuild, all road condtruction should be not less then 10ft above sea level, any new homes, or business construction should not be less then 10 ft above sea level, all high rise buildings, should have mechanical rooms, on top floors, they need to do a lot of planning down there, before they rebuild.

#55418 08/31/05 09:04 PM
G
The first question NOLA needs to answer is where will the labor live?
With this much building going on, I bet the new signs will be in spanish, not french..

On the "looters", when I said all this stuff would be written off, I didn't mean because it was stolen. I mean they are not going to sift through a pile of stuff that has been wet for 3 months looking for something without too much black mold on it.
If the "shopper" has dry shoes on he is a looter.
If he is knee deep in water he is just rooting through the dumpster.

Greg Fretwell
#55419 08/31/05 09:14 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
Finally got an up-date through a relitive of my friend down there. Apparently after the hurricane, they left the hotel where he works at, to see about his wifes shop, (which had some minor damage, at the time) then went to check on family across the canal, who were also fine. Then the levees broke! Now they have no idea of the condition of their bussiness, or apartment containing thier personal belongings, and have headed to Atlanta to stay with other relitives.

As for looting, from what I understand, at this point, in NOLA proper, looting is now "Supervised" by the police. I'm not saying that to be aggressive or off in tone... But from what I understand, all supermarkets and drug stores are now public property by eminant domain, and comandeared other like property as well. Yesturday, I saw footage of a cop saying, "Stay clear of the store until we get out, and then you all can have at what ever is left over. You gatta do what you need to to do to survive at this point."

On the other hand, poeple looting the department stores are another story all together. And from what I understand, that it is now on a shoot to kill basis in at least one parish there now. Which apparentley works really well, as it all but stopped that type of activity in that parish. And lets make no mistake, that the people doing that were of already desparate stock to begin with, before this event. Poverty is an epidemic there, and only breeds desparation. And it is the most poverty stricken areas that got the worst of the flooding. It is also very well known by people who live there that the reason rents are so low in those areas is because those areas were well known death traps for this exact situation. (Simular situation happened in the 60's) No sensable buisiness savy individual, or company would invest money there due to these exact risks. Studied on this situation have been done over, and over again, and most of the area is un-insurable. They knew for a long time that those levees would eventualy fail, just didn't know when.

Hopefully, the authorities gain control and grasp of the current situation soon. Or it may come down to martial law there relitively soon if the Fed. Gov. doesn't send immediate aid. Rebuilding there is going to take years!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#55420 08/31/05 09:29 PM
Gentlemen:
Yes, 'flood insurance' is a costly item, and mandatory if you carry a mortgage. There are some places here in NJ that you would not 'see' being in a flood area....but.

WE got hit with "Floyd" a few years back; Town of Bound Brook had 15'(+/-) of water on Main Street. I was shook at the damage to the business area, and all the possesions that were piled on the street for disposal. That only lasted a few days......how long will NOLA be under water???

As to the looting; a NO police officer said last nite some words to the effect ...I can see them stealing food & water....but $200 sneakers from Footlocker?? I lived in Newark, NJ during the famous 'riots' of the '60's, and saw pilaging firsthand.

Shooting may be a popular comment, but what 'good' may it do?? I saw a lot in Newark, the cops; the Guard; the North Ward Vigalante's; and a lot of blood. It did no good then, and I doubt if it would help any in NO.

'nough said on that....

Good point, where will the tradesmen 'live'? FEMA is sending in mobile dorms; PSE&G has 20+/- line crews en-route, hope they have a place to stay.

John

John
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard