ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 383 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#55391 08/29/05 03:22 AM
E
e57 Offline OP
Hopes for the best of what is going to be a BAD hurricane in New Orleans. A friend of mine lives down there, and is going to hole up in a hotel that he manages. Figures its his safest bet at the present time. It being on a hill, and a solid new concrete building, with storm shutters and ample food and water stores. I asked... And they even have a life-raft in the emergency kit.

So this being an electrical forum.... So if you know the storm is coming, do you leave the power on? (All non-essential personel have been ordered out.) Or shut if off to stave off further damage from the enevitable short, flooded transformer vault, or downed line? NOLA is a 'bath tub' so to speak, being under sea-level. So flooding is enevitable. Would it not make sense to shut if off for the storm, rather than to present a hazard to Emergency Workers during it?

The reason I say this, when I was younger, I was out during a hurricane, (Gloria) and saw power-lines blown over on to a house. Burned a major portion of it while it took some time to get shut off.

Anyway, it going to be a bad storm for that whole area of the country. (Already has been.) There will be damage, but hope no more lives are lost to this storm.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#55392 08/29/05 06:26 AM
K
Our local power co. sometimes does shutdown lines during storms, usually ice here. It seems to me that shutting the lines down would help minimize damage to equipment and electrocution hazards after. We occasionally do some storm recovery in the Carolinas, what a mess! Our thoughts and prayers are with those in the path of this thing.Hang on guys.
KB

#55393 08/29/05 06:54 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
It seems NOLA made it out of the storm much better than previously expected. Although the whole area is still due for the hashest storm in some time to hit the area. A whole swath across many states is in the middle of this now.

Haven't spoken to my friend yet, but am reasonabley sure, (Knock on wood) that he'll make it out of this OK.

Mark Heller
#55394 08/31/05 03:17 AM
E
e57 Offline OP
Still have not heard from my friend... I hope he's OK. Guess I spoke too soon on New Orleans.... Watching the news tonite, and the whole region looks real bad.

Mark Heller
#55395 08/31/05 06:14 AM
I have been watching the hurricanes' progress on FOX news where there has been continuous coverage for the last two days. The other night New Orleans' Frence Quarter was shown as dry & the reporter was glad to say that the city had missed most of it only to have the flooding occur within the last 24 hours. It looks like a mammoth job to rebuild the affected areas in three states as there is just so much to clean up (where does all the rubbish go?) Power won't be on for some months according to a report on ABC(Australia) news due to the widespread damage to a lot of the transmission lines & equipment.
I hope all that everyone know that live in the area are safe & well but with no communications (mobile/cell phones & landlines are mostly useless) its near impossible to find out which would make things a lot worse.

#55396 08/31/05 06:44 AM
K
Darn! I hope your friend is able to communicate soon, watch for smoke signals, I'm not sure how else he could. This thing brings out the best and worst in our society. What I would really like to see on the news is an armed citizen dropping a couple looters in their tracks. I don't believe the majority are stealing to survive but simply taking the oppurtunity.
KB

#55397 08/31/05 08:06 AM
D
Survival??????

In new tennis shoes and new Tv sets, and Rolex watches?

It is a shame to see this happen, watching the looters, I can't send them any help unfortunatley. So many people need help but I am afraid the money will go to the looters who are crying help rather than the people who really need it.

Dnk....

#55398 08/31/05 08:24 AM
I can't get my head around why you would want to pinch a TV set when you can't use the thing...greed for greeds sake. A way of dealing with people that had no good reason to be out & about at night was demonstarted by the NT Police during the Katherine flood in Jan 1998, a high powered rifle was used to sink the boats then the occupants had to find their own way around without a boat.

#55399 08/31/05 08:37 AM
L
What happened to the old; "looters will be shot on sight?" These idiots are stealing stuff they'll never use becasue there's no place to use a 27" TV!! Also, what part of "evacuate" didn't they understand several days ago? It's no surprise that the people who didn't leave were planning on some good lootin' after everyone left! I agree with KB, I'd like to see a stand-up citizen drop a couple of these morons.

#55400 08/31/05 08:52 AM
R
Gentlemen, I think right now we should be more concerned with those in need than our hatred or disdain for the thieves.

Roger

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard