ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Mitsui Gold CD-Rs are said to be the best for long-term storage. They actually are manufactured with the intent of being stable, rather than to sell for $0 after rebate. (Yes, I've actually seen the $0 deal at Fry's on occasion.) They are more expensive--around $1.00-$1.50 each, depending on quantity.

You can find info about them by Googling "Mitsui Gold".

J
You mentioned "Fry's". One of their stores is in Phoenix. I used to travel there alot working on machinery and visited Fry's every chance I got. Wish they were here in Pittsburgh, a GREAT store, everything electronic under the sun, computers and more, makes my mouth water.

Jeff

J
I use Quickbooks. If you buy the newest package it will have moe than you really need. I would (and have in the past) buy a little older version off Ebay. I picked up 2003 for $70 last year. New? over $200 I'm sure.

H
I use an old version of Peachtree Accounting that I have been using since the Windows 3.1 days. Not only was it a PITA to figure out and set up but I can put the whole thing on a 3.5" floppy and stick it into another computor and run it from the .exe if that ever becomes necessary. Needless to say I'm very reluctant to change but unfortunately I think it's the end of the road for it because it doesn't like XP and the Win98 box it's on isn't long for this world. [Linked Image]

-Hal

J
I've had success with old apps that are unsupported in XP by running them in W98 inside a virtual machine booted on Win2003 Server or WinXP. For an old Win 3.X package you should not notice any difference in performance.

That could work indefinitely, but if you decided after all to switch to a native XP package in the future then virtual machines also simplify this by letting you very easily create and manage test installations to use while you are doing things like configuring your reports, importing data, and so on.

I find VMWare the best, but there is also Virtual PC, which is cheaper and should be sufficient for this task.

E
I use Quick Books. I just upgraded to QB 2005 for Contractors. I've been using QB for 3 or 4 years and still don't really know how to use it to its fullest extent. The only drawback I've found is that they stop supporting it after 3 years and force you to upgrade if you use it for payroll.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard