ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Howdy! I nead to improve my human relations skills, and teamwork skills. I would like to find some trade books that help with improving these skills. Any ideas would be appreatiated! Brian, Sparkeee24!

Cat Servant
Advice I gan give..even if I don't follow it as well as I should:

-Ever read a Dale Carnigie book?;
-Always have a pleasant demeanor, and be first to say "Hello" or "good morning";
-Watch those who have the knack; and,
-Immigrants- even the "slowest", seem to have exceptional people skills, and manage to avoid getting caught up in job politics. Watch and learn.

R
Those will help a lot. Also, The Bible is a good one. I read the NIV on christnotes.org, but you can choose the version that's easiest to understand. 10 minutes a day will change your life. Read and understand, you can even search for specific things like, "working with others", or "character".

[This message has been edited by redwyernut (edited 04-17-2005).]

"4 INCHES FROM YOUR CHEST, PYLE!!!, 4 INCHES!!"
D
Yes, look for two authors of Andrew "Dice" Clay, and Richard Pryor.

S
I'll second Reno's suggestion--Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People is a superb book that's stood the test of time (it's still in print after all these years). I recommend it highly.

W
Being weak on interpersonal skills is not that rare with technically minded people. Of course, we all have to work for a boss, and all bosses are persons. How much of a raise you'll get is greatly dependent on what the boss *thinks* you are doing, not what you are in reality are doing. [Linked Image] "Office Politics" (which is not confined to offices, any worksite qualifies) is something not explicitly taught in school. I don't mean the cut throat back stabbing dirty tricks kind of politics, what I mean would be the everyday give and take, lending a hand, avoiding embarrising the boss in front of the crew or customer (even when you know it's clear that he screwed up (unless a risk to life would occur)). A book I got years ago
"Office Politics" by IIRC Marlyin Moats Kennedy was pretty good. I've also seen for sale "Office Politics for dummies" but I haven't read it so I cant say if it's good or not.

Link Copied to Clipboard